Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does this mean?? He's the most playful puppy ever but as soon as I put his harness on him.. ears back, head down, and off he goes to the nearest corner, he doesn't respond to treats or his recall.

I take the harness off and he goes back to normal. This is his first experience with a harness ever.

·
Registered
615 Posts
He clearly does not like his harness, take it slow with him, give him high praise when the harness is on, with some high value treats. he will get used to it in time.

·
Registered
880 Posts
It sounds like you need to CC him to the harness.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup he's okay with the collar.

I was waiting for him to grow a bit so I could switch him to a harness, I figured it's safer, prettier, and god forbid I ever need to pull him to me to prevent an accident a harness would be less harmful.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Really make sure that the harness is fitted properly and isn't rubbing him anywhere. Especially for the introduction period, make sure that it's quite loose so that he doesn't feel restricted. You can tighten it up to it's proper snugness once he's used to the general feel of it.

Try introducing the harness only when really good things are going to happen such as playtime, dinner time, etc so that he associates the harness with positive interactions.

You might need higher value treats in the beginning -- something really special like bits of fresh cooked chicken, meat, etc. Bring out the harness (not putting it on him yet) treat treat treat, put it over his head, but not fastening it and treat, fasten it, and treat, etc. If he shuts down and stops accepting the treat, go back a step and work on that in short sessions until he's completley comfortable then try the next step again. Just break it down into really little steps.

He should realize pretty quickly that the harness = awesomeness. My girl wouldn't move a step at all at first in the harness, and then when she would take a couple steps it was in a very stiff-legged awkward shuffle of a walk. With a little encouragement she realized that the harness actually didn't interfere and she could move and act like normal -- she hasn't had any issue since. It's just breaking through that barrier and then you're good to go!

·
Registered
880 Posts
I agree with @travelingswift. When I first introduced Trucker to his harness, he was scared of it even have CC to it. I left it on him even though he was hiding under the bed with it on and slinking around. If he would come out I would give him a treat or I would throw him a ball to play fetch with, we didn't even try to go for a walk for a long time. I even had him wear it to the dog park, where he immediately forgot he was wearing it and played with the other dogs. Now he is fine with putting it on and going for walks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts