Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to sound really strange, but here goes: I have a three and a half year old boxer/German Shepherd cross and he has this very odd and most amusing habit. At night time, whenever I break wind (which is quite frequently), he gets up out of bed and comes over to me. He gets back into bed fairly quickly then, but I can't understand why he does it. He can be in the deepest of sleeps and he will still get up. Has anyone else experienced this, and/or does anyone know what the hell is going on? Maybe my dog just really likes the smell of my farts. My girlfriend, on the other hand, is not such a fan. :eek:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Our german shepherd will do something very similar to that. In the middle of the night, he will get out of bed for no reason and do 'the rounds.' This means he will get out of bed, wander down the hall to my sister's room, go inside and up to her bed. He'll do a quick look-over and leave the room. He then proceeds to my room, does the same thing, and down to my parents room to check on them as well. He does this three or four times a night. We always figured he was just 'checking in' on us to make sure we're ok. Maybe your dog is doing the same thing. I mean, c'mon, you made a strange noise and/or produced an odd smell. It would make sense that he'd want to go investigate and make sure you were alright.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you kindly for your insight, Kossde, but I think you may be wrong. You see, I think we have since solved this conundrum. Last night we were lying in bed when I cracked a particularly violent ripper. Up jumped the shocked-looking mutt onto the bed in a manner that did not suggest he was protecting us, but that he had gotten a terrible fright. And we think that is what happens every time I fart. That is, the poor beast gets a fright, because the same thing happens only on a much bigger scale with non ass-related wind. Whenever it is particularly windy outside he gets really scared and won't settle at all. It's as if he thinks something is going to fall on him - and perhaps there was an incident like that when he was a pup that scarred him for life. So we reckon my flatulence must upset him similarly, with each parp signaling iminent danger. Also, it's not unusual for my girlfriend to jump out of bed when I let one off either, so there could be an element of him replicating her behavior as well. God help them both.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Our german shepherd will do something very similar to that. In the middle of the night, he will get out of bed for no reason and do 'the rounds.' This means he will get out of bed, wander down the hall to my sister's room, go inside and up to her bed. He'll do a quick look-over and leave the room. He then proceeds to my room, does the same thing, and down to my parents room to check on them as well. He does this three or four times a night. We always figured he was just 'checking in' on us to make sure we're ok. Maybe your dog is doing the same thing. I mean, c'mon, you made a strange noise and/or produced an odd smell. It would make sense that he'd want to go investigate and make sure you were alright.
My Dog used to do that same thing, we called it "Patrol". He would get up around 1 - 3 am and do a premiter sweep and then go back to bed...lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts