Dog Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
I can't say much on cost, as that will vary between countries and companies. I think there could be great success with some proper training methods and time, but overall, I would probably keep him separate from children for a long time, if not forever. One of my dogs has never been mistreated by children but is terrified of them, so I respect her wishes and ensure she has limited contact to prevent any accidents.

The reason he reacts sometimes and not others is likely based purely off body language and pheromones given off by each new person. He reacts defensively when he sees the need to. His confidence around adults can definitely improve with the right methods, but I would be skeptical of children, as they are more unpredictable and hyper beings.

I strongly believe this was a fear reaction. I respect you for taking on this poor sweetheart and his past, he has clearly chosen you for a reason. For his protection, I would keep him from strangers as best you can, and DON'T let him around children. I always believe there is a way to rehab dogs like this to an extent, but the outcome for him if it fails just isn't worth it. I'm not saying to lock him away when people come, just explore methods of making the zone safe for everyone.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts