Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's everywhere, despite my best efforts, and money invested in vacuum cleaners and brushes, it's always there; in my towels, my sheets, wool clothes, and most importantly pillows.

Dog owners with indoor dogs, how do you cope? Both my dogs get baths once or twice per month and get brushed daily, i'm considering (as a very last resort) trimming off their hair completely, I say last resort because not only is it, well, ugly, but probably really uncomfortable too, we get very cold winters and very hot summers, there's no middle ground.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
As I'm typing this, I just pulled a hair out of my mouth because it had gotten into my glass. :)
I agree, I think you just get used to it. I vacuum every other day and my house is still covered in fuzz.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Yes, I agree with @amaryllis, I am pretty house proud. I like to have a clean house, but I love my animals, I have 2 cats & a dog. I dust & vacuum daily (but not obsessively) Betsy is quite a hairy dog, I keep her fur short, but that's mainly because she likes to get muddy & it's easier to wipe it off with short fur. If you looked around my house you would probably think it's spotless, but I know there are animal hairs everywhere. I keep a lint roller for my clothes & I roller friends before they leave if they're wearing dark clothes, it's become a bit of fun ('I'm leaving now Judy, can you roller me please!! :D) Just do what you can & then try not to worry about it.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
lol, you have a German Shedder, so do I. Hair every where, no matter how many times you vac.

When we go out, people look and say you have hair on you, I just reply, that's my dog, I take him every where with me.

Shepherds you can brush til the cows come home. I'm so use to it, I'd actually miss it.

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
Brush outside
Feed a high quality diet
Invest in Lint Rollers
Cover the couch with a sheet
Brush the dog outside
Claim the hair is a condiment
Just let it pile up and pretend it's a carpet
Name it and claim it's your spare dog

Reactions: Garmie

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
I do a ton of cleaning and don't have that much dog hair around as a result given how much she sheds. Few things:

-Dog's diet - may help with shedding
-Cleaning - I dust/vacuum daily, don't forget to replace your air vents annually (r more often) as well, and get on high hard-to-reach objects like lights, etc.
-Brushing - are you getting the undercoat out?
-Jean blankets - this is more something that happened then I found out its benefits-make the bed and keep the pillows under the jean blanket. Almost nothing penetrates that barrier.
-Cover couches etc and wash weekly
-Wash regular blankets, towels, etc, weekly
-Dry things in the dryer when applicable - it removes the fur. Then take out your 'lint' as often as possible, sometimes halfway through your load.
-Limit where the dog is able to go. i have a HUGE space for just me and her atm, so we don't use the living room as much - saves me from having to vacuum that area daily, and I can go maybe a week before needing to vacuum it (or before/after guests, when she's allowed out in the area, etc).

The type of material you have matters. Things like yoga pants, dry fit, etc....will make you regret your buying choices. Great for outdoors, not great for hanging with the dog-it bends everything to prick you. Jeans work wonderfully as a barrier, along with many other heavier cloths. It takes a bit to get used to the routine/what materials will and won't work but its worth it. I only do this much because of allergies, not because of fur, btw. You do get used to a certain baseline-stray furs happen.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I've pretty much given up. Sure my house is clean, but I also consider my dog's fur a condiment and extra protein source lol.

To help control the fur tumble weeds:

I only bathe Tessa when she needs it (like she rolled in something or is just smelly) because bathing too frequently can cause dry skin and more shedding. I brush her out monthly, or every second week (depends), she's a lab mix with lab flat fur so she doesn't need a whole lot of grooming. If I had a fluffy dog it would be every week for sure, if not every 2nd day.

Wash my white, yes I said white, sheets/bedding A LOT - bleach is my friend :)

I lurve me my dyson and swiffer

I also have laminate flooring/tile flooring throughout, would never EVER have carpet again.

I feed Orijen/Acana for breakfast, freeze dried for supper, and add fish oil supplements.

I have a large surplus of lint rollers, and wear a lot of black :)

Reactions: JudyG

·
Registered
615 Posts
Nothing.
I vacuum once a week , (the only time I get is once a week) otherwise I have learnt to deal with it, plus being a vet nurse I bring it home so its everywhere lol

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Slightly off topic, but I thought this might make you all smile. I saw a trailer on TV recently for a new show about obsessive cleaners (not OCD, just people who love cleaning)a woman actually said she vacuums the air in her house so that she can catch the dust before it settles!!

·
Registered
722 Posts
JudyG, I once saw an episode where one of these Hoarders, a young man also had severe ocd issues, but his were with throwing anything away. Including his dogs shed hair. The stairs literally Had like an extra carpet of dog fur covering it.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Embrace it! Lol! I'm not the most diligent cleaner (Honestly, not enough hours in the day) so I do the best I can and embrace the rest.

I use a Mars Coat King to strip out my Aussie's undercoat. That thing does wonders!
Following all brushings I use a High velocity dryer to blow off any loos hair that still might be on him.

I change my air filters monthly (mostly because of allergies)

Lint rollers. And coordinating colors. (Agility trial with black dog = dark running pants)

Reactions: MrsCunningham

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Agree with what the others say - get deal with it.

I wash bedding, area rugs, etc on a rotation so everything is getting washed twice per month. I wash Aspens bed and blankets weekly. I vacuum every day and wash floors twice per week. (Side note: I LOVE my vacuum! Invest in a good one, it's worth it.) Even with all of that, there are still random hairs that blow around. I think I do a good job of keeping most of the hair at bay, even though I'm washing floors at midnight sometimes.

The one thing I don't do super often is bathe her. I use a rubber curry comb on her outside but I feel like her natural oils do a good job of keeping her skin and coat in check. I bathe her about 4 times per year, on average. If she gets into something yucky or stays at the kennel, I bathe her because she'll be stinky.

(My OCD really shines though in these types of posts haha)

·
Registered
502 Posts
I understand how hard it is. I grew up in a home with no indoor animals. We had cats, and I got a dog at 15, but because of allergies they weren't allowed inside other than in our shed(more of a small house, heated and insulated) when it got really cold. Because of that, I really struggle with dog hair. I can't stand it on everything.

My previous roommate had 2 GSD's, and the hair was horrible. Everywhere, all the time no matter what we did. We vacuumed and cleaned every day but it only helped so much. I will say that having all hard wood floors is a big help, because it's easier to get all the hair. We keep covers on all the couches, and keep bedroom doors closed so the hair doesn't float in. I also keep a sheet over my bed and only take it off when I go to bed, so that keeps the hair to a minimum.

That roommate moved out, and we still have 4 dogs, but all short hair so the hair problem is a thousand times better. Plus my 3 stay outside a good bit of the time. But having indoor dogs, you're simply going to have to get used to it. And maybe get low shedding breeds in the future.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts