Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, folks!

So I was just throwing away some trash, and because my mind tends to wander, I started thinking about how, before I get a dog, I should change over my trash cans to covered ones.

So, I thought I'd ask for suggestions here. What kind of garbage cans do you folks use? Is a cover sufficient for your pup's curiosity, or do you have to go for one with a heavy lid and a step-opener? What kind of can do you use in your bathroom, especially if you're a lady and dispose of your hygiene products there?

Relatedly, what kind of other household items might I need to think about before we get a dog that aren't necessarily dog gear? I guess this goes along the lines of puppy-proofing, but not necessarily. Maybe there's a kind of storage rack that you find works well for storing dog stuff. Or a shoe storage option that keeps them from being tempting to the still-learning dog...

In short, what kind of items that any home would need have you found to be particularly useful in your dog-owning home?

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Our kitchen garbage can is under the sink, and puppy hasn't figured out how to get in there (yet?). The bathrooms are off limits to puppy, and those are really the only areas we have garbage cans. Levi never bothered with garbage cans, so I've never really had to give it much thought.

I really cannot emphasize how amazing baby gates are. We have moved into a more open-concept home, so unlike when Levi was a puppy, we don't have the luxury of closing doors, so baby gates are a God-send to keep her away from the stairs.

As far as household items, I would recommend some good, high-quality paper towels. You are going to be cleaning up accidents, despite all your best efforts ;). I also really like Tupperware to store the food so it doesn't get stale.

Lastly, not really a house-hold item, but really high quality toys. It's so tempting to buy an armful of the cheap ones, but I love having peace of mind that she can chew on the toys and not rip anything off.

Reactions: Sha

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you're starting out with a puppy, you can use an open trash can for training. I lived in an open yet small apartment, and since I hadn't planned on getting Tucker we couldn't really do anything about our trash can. It was one of those tall ones that was supposed to have a lid, but didn't. Tucker was too small at the time to get into it, but I taught him leave it commands around the thing and he eventually just stayed away altogether. Now I have two small trash cans for my room and bathroom and, although he'll occasionally sniff at stuff, he never goes through it.

I'm sure these things are on every basic puppy list, but these really saved my life when Tucker was younger: Carpet cleaner, scrub brush, paper towels (seriously, just buy in bulk), Clorox wipes/mop wipes, and a kennel. These items seem like duh items, but they won MVP among my possessions for a few months.

For storing dog food we use those plastic cat litter containers once we had used all the litter. They snap shut and hold about 15-20 lbs of large breed dog food. We got four of them (two for the dogs, one for the cat food, and one for extra) before we switched cat litter. Anything cheap like that will probably work. My family is just cheap. :D

I totally agree with Shandula on the toys. However, if money is an issue (I was/am a college student, and good dog toys can be expensive) a puppy can be easily entertained with some ice cubes, a frozen rag (good for teething), and some cheap tennis balls (before they discover their destructive powers).

Best of luck with your new dog!

·
Registered
54 Posts
We keep our trash can under the sink. Our dog hasn't found it in the 3 years we've had him so it may be a spot worth trying! ;)

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
My kitchen trash can has a lid, bathroom doesn't.

One of the first things I taught Aspen as a pup was "leave it". Her "leave it" command is SO solid that I don't worry about her getting into those things. I agree with the points that @Shandula made as well... and to add to it: if you get your pup fun things that s/he CAN play with, they are more likely to leave the bad stuff alone, IME.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts