Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

So when Mia, my pitbull puppy, was a bit younger I had suspicions that she had a UTI based on the fact that she would sometimes dribble when she peed and would pee on the pad and then 5 mins later pee a couple of drips again on the pad. The vet took a look (without actually taking a urine sample) and said she didn't suspect Mia had a UTI and maybe it was just a house training thing. She didn't show signs of straining, and no visible blood in her urine.

Then, last Saturday she went in for surgery for a bump on her leg so I asked to get a urine analysis done since she was going under anyway.

Vet called me just now saying she has a lot crystals and prescribed me some antibiotics for a week. He said I should change her diet to something that will prevent crystals. I didn't even know they had dog food like that. Of course he prescribed Royal Canin but I'm really unsure if I want to switch to that, plus isn't it super expensive?

She is currently on Acana puppy/junior. I just got a new bag of it so I guess once it's almost done I will have to look for another brand. It already took me so long to decide on Acana.

Has anyone heard of this?? A dog food that prevents crystals? This was the second time the vet tried to push me on royal Canin. The first time was when I asked how many baby carrots could I feed her in a day (as a treat not as a food supplement) and he told me I should switc

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
*sorry iPad doing something weird....

He told me I should switch to royal Canin then I wouldn't have to feed her baby carrots....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've considered raw but I don't know too much about it. I know it can get expensive and time consuming to prepare? But good health benefits, you know exactly what's going into their food, shinier coat etc

The vet is against raw, says Mia will get a whole bunch of other issues. Again he pushed for Royal canin or Hills Science diet saying it's plain simple food with no complications.

So part is the cause of her UTI is bacteria/yeast which is normal I guess, she gets too close to the ground etc.

But the other cause he said was her diet, there were large amounts of triple phosphate.

I wonder if I could find a dog nutritionalist here in Vancouver to get a straight answer!!! I've never Ben fully able to trust any vet that I've taken my dogs to see. I feel like they're always trying to make a few extra bucks.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Last vet that pushed Hills got told to shove it where the sun don't shine. Vets have food for every condition.

It's your call, it's your dog. But if you're having lots of medical issues...

Our pup was 2 1/2 when we switched to raw, the savings on vets alone in the last year and a half more than covered the extra costs of feeding raw ;) Pay now, or pay later. Dental cleaning alone can pay for a lot of food - you won't need dental cleaning on raw.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i need to do more research on raw diets. There's no way I'm putting her on Royal canin or Hills. I've been happy with Acana, she loves it (but then again I think she'll eat anything lol) and she's got good stools although they are quite smelly, I'm assuming it's from the high protein content.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Echo has had less issues on canidae pure, she had crystals after antibiotics too! Also if the sample wasn't tested immediately the crystals can develop in the sample jar.

Vets tend to prescribe those companies because they are some of the few that offer medicated lines and they are really good at going to the vets and showing off their product lines. It's not a perfect system. Are there any vets that specialize in diet around you? They should be able to guide you on raw too if that's your preference.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
The only time you have to change foods is when they have a current UTI. As soon as the infection is gone you can switch back to a better food.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
i need to do more research on raw diets. There's no way I'm putting her on Royal canin or Hills. I've been happy with Acana, she loves it (but then again I think she'll eat anything lol) and she's got good stools although they are quite smelly, I'm assuming it's from the high protein content.

Thank you!
All vets will be against raw, due to lack of training and knowledge on nutrition.

Cost depends on your location, and what sources you have available to you. As in, butchers, hunters, farmers, etc... Sometimes that can take a little research to find what is in your area. I have placed ads on craigslist and a free classified ad book local here, and gotten hundreds of pounds of meats for free.

Just FYI, here is a good site on raw feeding with both forums and a getting started guide, if you are interested in this way of feeding. Basically, what it comes down to is feeding mostly meat, some bone and some organs. Prey Model Raw - PMR dog food

Your other options would be to feed food with a high moisture content, like canned/wet, or commercial raw. Kibbles are so dry, none of them I wouldn't think are going to prevent crystals.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
When Kris, my Dobe, was a puppy she acted like she had a UTI. When I took her into the Vet she had no UTI but had struvite crystals. The Vet suggested Science Diet but wanted to check with the company as Kris was just a puppy. They told her not to use the food they usually prescribed as she was just a puppy. I never changed anything and she never had another problem and is now over three years old.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Echo has had less issues on canidae pure, she had crystals after antibiotics too! Also if the sample wasn't tested immediately the crystals can develop in the sample jar.

Vets tend to prescribe those companies because they are some of the few that offer medicated lines and they are really good at going to the vets and showing off their product lines. It's not a perfect system. Are there any vets that specialize in diet around you? They should be able to guide you on raw too if that's your preference.
There's a vet that's on mat leave at the same hospital i went to who is also a nutritionist, but they don't know when she's coming back. I will probably have to do some searching for someone else.

The only time you have to change foods is when they have a current UTI. As soon as the infection is gone you can switch back to a better food.
She is currently getting treated, she's on day 2 of her antibiotics. The vet said to finish the bag of Acana (because I just bought a new bag) and then switch to royal Canin.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@naturalfeddogs thank you for that link. I have a lot of reading to do lol I live in the city, don't know any hunters/butchers etc so it could get pricey.

I have a friend that has two English staffies and he wants to do dry kibble and raw (because it's really expensive here). Not in the same meal but alternating or raw once a week. What are everyone's thoughts on that?

·
Registered
214 Posts
@yoshiposhi I'm in Vancouver too and after being pushed hard by our vet to choose a commercial food (I was feeding homemade stews), I switched to The Honest Kitchen and Koko's (which is NorthVan made, and frozen) which satisfied our vet. If you find a good nutritionist who isn't just pushing their own food, I'd love if you'd share their info. :)

I'm no dog nutritionist, but understand that water intake plays a big part in crystal formation. Our dogs dislike drinking water, but we add a lot of it to their meals and are well-hydrated. I also add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to their food each day which is reported to be good for kidney function - it even got a thumbs up from our vet.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@Cynna thanks for the tip! Yeah I started to put water in her food but I will also try the apple cider vinegar! My pup doesn't drink enough water, even after a long trail walk she doesn't drink when we get home!

There is a vet that is returning from mat leave, Dr. Christine Ong, she works at Oak Animal Hospital. My friend recommended her, said that she's also a nutritionist and though he hasn't brought up raw fed diets with her before, she would probably be more open to the idea. The other vet that I try to see at Oak Animal Hospital is Dr. Doonie. She is okay with the idea of a raw fed diet but.....she also said she was concerned that since my pup is still growing, she would not get any carbohydrates which she needs for her growin body *rolleyes*. I don't agree with this at all. But i'll take what I can get lol at least she didn't shun the whole raw diet thing.

Dr. Christine Ong is returning at the end of June I think. I'll keep you posted, I'll probably schedule a check up with her to get a feel of what she's like. My friend really likes her and only went to see her before she left on her mat leave.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts