Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you feed your dogs senior food?
So my are seniors or almost, imma talk to vet next month at their dental appointment to see what she thinks. They are 9yr old chihuahuas. I have researched so much before on pet foods to find a good one, no recalls and such. They currently eat natural balance LID limited ingredients lamb and brown rice formula. I found out a while ago that this brands grain free kind has been linked to heart issues, and this brands senior food is grain free so i dont want to use that. I mean i dont want to change their brand of food either but if i need to feed them senior food then i may have to change. I want whats best for them. I want to know what kind they will get if and when the time comes they need to switch. Also It cant have chicken in it, as my baby girl is allergic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,643 Posts
Have you considered plant based enzymes? As dogs (and other mammals) age, they draw less nutritional value from their food as their digestive system is less efficient. Plant based enzymes free up some of the nutrients and allow them to be more easily absorbed .

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven’t, i will look into it though thank you

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok i found that, i will look into that. So you think use that and keep on current food vs senior food?

·
Super Moderator
1,643 Posts
There's an awful lot of ”it depends”. Some senior foods are lower in calories because they expect older dogs to be less active, some contain glucosamine and chondroitin for joint health.

To be honest, at 9 I wouldn't think chis as really very senior. Big dogs, yes, but small dogs have such longer lives.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok i will talk to my vet
Yeah i have seen diff ages ppl say are seniors, i plan on asking vet. I just wanna be prepared when they are, and have been wondering when they are considered to be seniors. They dont act it thankfully.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's an awful lot of ”it depends”. Some senior foods are lower in calories because they expect older dogs to be less active, some contain glucosamine and chondroitin for joint health.

To be honest, at 9 I wouldn't think chis as really very senior. Big dogs, yes, but small dogs have such longer lives.
So when i was looking into senior food , I contacted customer service for the current food brand i use and they informed me that what i use now the formula will be changing.. which scares me, because ive heard so many bad things about bad ingredients in certain dog foods hurting dogs and i have to deal with this new formula unless i want to change brands. So i had them send me the ingredient grids for the current and the new and im hoping i can get help to see if you guys think its an actual improvement and or if you have heard anything bad about the ingredients.
Adjustments.jpg

Adjustments.jpg

·
Super Moderator
1,643 Posts
The new formula looks to me a little better in quality as they appear to have increased the amount of actual lamb, however it's hard to be sure how good it is as there is no indication of the percentage of the ingredients.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok great thank you
Would there be a percentage on the actual food bag? I could ask for the percentages

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The new formula looks to me a little better in quality as they appear to have increased the amount of actual lamb, however it's hard to be sure how good it is as there is no indication of the percentage of the ingredients.
Adjustments.jpg

·
Super Moderator
1,643 Posts
I don't know - in the UK we sometimes get percentage values of the main ingredients but not the minor ones so it would seem to be a marketing thing rather than a requirement. It is still not completely clear - 40% more lamb sounds good but you would need to know what it is 40% more of - what the starting point is. Like, is it 40% more of an original 5% lamb content; or is it 40% more of an original 30% lamb content, if that makes sense.

At the bottom line the best food for your dog is the one he thrives on so if this product suits him, I'd say stick with it and see how he does on the new formula.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My oldest girl is a 14-year-old black lab and, honestly, she's in perfect health (apart from a metal plate in her leg after an injury as a puppy!). She still does zoomies, eats well, looks young etc.

I just started her on new food from this blog's healthy dog food recommendations and she loves it (the Hills one) - she eats it up without hesitation and we also mix some cod liver oil in which she (thankfully) doesn't mind! :)

·
Super Moderator
1,643 Posts
My oldest girl is a 14-year-old black lab and, honestly, she's in perfect health (apart from a metal plate in her leg after an injury as a puppy!). She still does zoomies, eats well, looks young etc.

I just started her on new food from this blog's healthy dog food recommendations and she loves it (the Hills one) - she eats it up without hesitation and we also mix some cod liver oil in which she (thankfully) doesn't mind! :)
Actually, that blog is not really very reliable I'm afraid. On the one hand, it recommends some foods which are not particularly good quality, while on another page recommending avoiding processed foods in favour of raw. That isn't to say some processed kibble is bad; some of it is very good but the blog is a bit contradictory. It says dogs are carnivores; they are omnivores in fact.

It also says dogs are descended from wolves, which is inaccurate. Dogs and wolves had a common ancestor, in the same way as humans and apes had a common ancestor. Then, both species (dog/wolf, human/ape) evolved separately. It slightly oversimplifies it but if there had been direct evolution from one ancestor, we wouldn't have wolves.

And, just a word of caution on fish liver oil. Vitamin A can build up in the fish liver and then in turn, in the dog. Fish oils not from the liver, like salmon oil or feeding small oily fish like sardines occasionally is helpful though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Actually, that blog is not really very reliable I'm afraid. On the one hand, it recommends some foods which are not particularly good quality, while on another page recommending avoiding processed foods in favour of raw. That isn't to say some processed kibble is bad; some of it is very good but the blog is a bit contradictory. It says dogs are carnivores; they are omnivores in fact.

It also says dogs are descended from wolves, which is inaccurate. Dogs and wolves had a common ancestor, in the same way as humans and apes had a common ancestor. Then, both species (dog/wolf, human/ape) evolved separately. It slightly oversimplifies it but if there had been direct evolution from one ancestor, we wouldn't have wolves.

And, just a word of caution on fish liver oil. Vitamin A can build up in the fish liver and then in turn, in the dog. Fish oils not from the liver, like salmon oil or feeding small oily fish like sardines occasionally is helpful though.
Interesting - thanks for the information! If I had time, I'd definitely prepare raw food for her but she seems perfectly happy with the Hills food. Would you say that's healthy or not?

·
Super Moderator
1,643 Posts
At the end of the day, if it suits your dog and it suits your budget, that is enough to make it fine.

I'm not sure which Hills product you are using, they can be a bit vague over the ingredients and a bit heavy on grains/maize but if your dog is doing well, that's the main thing.

If it is something you are interested in, I could add more but I don't want to bore you if you aren't.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm not terribly knowledgeable about the different brands (I feed ours one of the Nutro Seniors, but it has chicken in it). I have a suggestion in changing foods, though. As you try out or change foods, make it a gradual change, i.e., just a couple of kibbles the first two days, increasing a little at a time. If your girl has gastrointestinal distress (more common than an allergic reaction), be prepared to back out of the amount a step or two for several days, then increase again.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm not terribly knowledgeable about the different brands (I feed ours one of the Nutro Seniors, but it has chicken in it). I have a suggestion in changing foods, though. As you try out or change foods, make it a gradual change, i.e., just a couple of kibbles the first two days, increasing a little at a time. If your girl has gastrointestinal distress (more common than an allergic reaction), be prepared to back out of the amount a step or two for several days, then increase again.
I will definitely be doing that, I know dogs can get diarrhea if switched abruptly. Thank you

1 - 20 of 20 Posts