Dog Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dewey is... a problem when it comes to food, always had been. I have tried raw, might try it again now that I have a few different ways to possibly get him to eat the organ meats. However before I even try that, I want to know of any possible other foods, whether they be refrigerated, dehydrated, or kibble, that could possibly get him to eat. I have gone through at least 10 different foods of various kinds including kibble, canned, refrigerated; and he consistently gets bored, within two months at least, if not sooner. I do rotate flavors every bag of kibble or can of food or tube of refrigerated food. However he just loses interest and I try to tough it out, but when he goes three days without food I really start to worry, then he will eat a meal and then once again it will be three days. He will constantly be begging (and his version of begging is incredibly hard to ignore considering it is very physical no matter how often I tell him to leave it) it's almost like he's desperate because he's so hungry but wants something he likes. He no longer gets dental chews or anything similair unless he eats. I have tried adding human foods, like low fat meat, or sweet potatoes, but he has come to a point where not even that works. He will eat or lick everything else off and then leave it.... any advice?

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
You can also try cooking the dogs meals. I usually make a soup out of meat, you can throw some veg in, whatever you want really. it's also a great medium for hiding vitamin powder and such if need be. I'll divide it up into individual meals and freeze, doesn't take much time. Bear in mind, they will still need the raw bone and organs. When the previous dog was on a cooked diet - based on a vets food trial recommendation - I'd debone drumsticks or a whole chicken carcass - freeze the bone and cook the meat.

As for organs, I blend them all together - it's a disgusting, smelly mess - and spoon it into silicon ice cube trays and freeze. Silicon because it's easy to get them out, plastic ice cube trays don't work. Dogs seem to like the frozen pucks.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Organs? Usually whatever I can get, the asian supermarkets generally carry more offal than others. Kidney, pancreas, spleen, liver, kidney. If I can't find fresh tripe, i'll buy canned. Blend it all together and freeze it up.

As for percentage, there's a great writeup here:
How to get started feeding a Prey Model Raw Diet - Raw Chat - PMR Articles - articles - Prey Model Raw

It's not a rocket science, you're feeding a dog. As long as you kind of get it right over the course of say a week, you're golden. Large dogs are easy, small dogs not so much. The poop tells the tale for bone, too soft give more bone. Too hard, back off the bone.

I always have stock of raw chicken feet and pork ribs in the freezer, along with his other meals. They are his snacks for night time, or when I need to keep the dog busy for an hour.

Raw feeding has to be done correctly, there has to be a good balance.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the closest Asian market near me that would carry actual meat products, I know we have one near us but the only carry snack like items. However I know there is one probably in Santa Maria. That is a huge city near me with a lot of ethic differences. I was wondering have you ever fed fish? And where do you get canned tripe? Is there a place near you that sells fresh green tripe?

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
I think the closest Asian market near me that would carry actual meat products, I know we have one near us but the only carry snack like items. However I know there is one probably in Santa Maria. That is a huge city near me with a lot of ethic differences. I was wondering have you ever fed fish? And where do you get canned tripe? Is there a place near you that sells fresh green tripe?
With tripe, I sometimes luck out with farmers but not often. I have a small freezer, can't store much. Alot of the higher end pet stores will sell canned tripe, stuff stinks to the high hills but dogs love it.

You can buy prepackaged frozen, but I find most of these diets only contain liver as an organ. Fish yes, as long as the dog will eat it. Again, depends on the size of the dog really - the minpin will eat smaller fish like smelts or sardines. Canned sardines are ok as well. You can check out spirulina as a supplement as well, it's an algae packed with alot of goodness and omegas.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I have spiraling for my homemade hamster food that I am working on making, still have to finished up the macronutrients levels and finish weighing out stuff with them. He's an 8 year old chihuahua rat terrier mix who has an extreme amount of energy for being called "a senior" in the dog world. When I am doing well (at the moment I dealing with some mental and physical issues so it's been hard on him) but on my good dayso I take him out for decent walks usually around 45 minutes to and hour long. I can tell he wants one every day, it's just hard at the moment, I am hoping to get it fixed within a month or so. So he's 8 years old and weighs about 13 pounds, possibly somewhere like 12.5 if he's lost weight like I've expected. His small waist has gotten even smaller.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am checking out the website you send me and then several links that were on it. Also a few online stores lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts