Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question:

What do you guys feed your dogs while hiking? I've noticed my dog doesn't seem as interested in his dog food while hiking but of course he needs the sufficient nutrients and energy replenishment. Does anyone have any homemade treats that are high packed in calories and energy?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have actually been looking for something as well and the only thing I have really found is a product called Turbopup, its a meal replacement bar. I haven't decided if I will try it yet. Looks decent for something easy to carry and its supposed to sustain energy.

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
Question:

What do you guys feed your dogs while hiking? I've noticed my dog doesn't seem as interested in his dog food while hiking but of course he needs the sufficient nutrients and energy replenishment. Does anyone have any homemade treats that are high packed in calories and energy?
What kind of hiking? Backpacking? Day hikes? What kind of mileage? Elevation?

I hike with my girl a lot. If I'm doing a day hike (5-7 hours) with no elevation, I don't bring any food. I'll grab a handful of treats and of course, water.

If we're backpacking, I bring The Honest Kitchen. It gives her the nutrients she needs, it's light for me to pack and she's more likely to eat that over kibble. NOTE: I integrate this into her regular diet so it doesn't shock her system.

If I'm camping and doing day hikes, I'll bring kibble and leave it out for her anytime we're at the campsite (except at night- bears!)... When we camp, my day hikes are usually longer with significant elevation so I'll bring cooked meat- ground beef/turkey, chicken, etc. She will absolutely not eat kibble on a hike and I know she needs something to keep her energy.

Hopefully, my rambling makes sense :) this is the combo that I've found works best for us.

·
Registered
880 Posts
My previous dog would ONLY eat during lunch on a hike (ie, when we stopped for lunch on day-hikes) but would not eat at the campsite. So we would always have to pack her lunch along with ours.
Sometimes it's about finding the 'right' time, from your dogs point of view. Camping/hiking can be quite exciting for a dog and make their appetite sketchy.
I feed kibble. You can 'dress up' kibble at the campsite with water & parmesan cheese. I put some in a baggie, let it soak for an hour & use it for treats.

Reactions: H2opl20

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your feedback. It was a general question regarding backpacking, hiking, camping, etc. We do all of the above and trying to make it better each time. Thanks for your feedback.

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
Some of my friends who take their dogs hiking/camping/canoeing etc. for a week or two that need to keep everything light use commercially prepared freeze dried raw or something similar. A couple of them have the dog saddled up and carries it own food and other gear.

If you go with a specialty food for camping, I'd test run it first at home and make sure the dog is fine with it.

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
Agree with @DriveDog - THK that I use is dehydrated..single serve bags. My pack is chuck full of things that I need so Aspen needs to carry her own stuff (I carry her boots). She carries: water, treats, food (if needed), doggie pain relievers and a laminated ID card with her info and mine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some of my friends who take their dogs hiking/camping/canoeing etc. for a week or two that need to keep everything light use commercially prepared freeze dried raw or something similar. A couple of them have the dog saddled up and carries it own food and other gear.

If you go with a specialty food for camping, I'd test run it first at home and make sure the dog is fine with it.
What do you mean by "specialty" food?

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
What do you mean by "specialty" food?
Just a departure from the norm such as freeze dried food. Most people do not use it except in specific situations. I think with any food change, people need to know their dog's gut and how sensitive it may or may not be. Chances are the shift to a food just for camping will not follow the typical slower transition many people tend to use. So, I'd test run a day's worth at home rather than be out and about with no alternative.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts