Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had our female lab puppy for a little over 2 weeks and she'll be 9 weeks tomorrow. We bought Fromm large breed puppy but she doesn't eat as much as I feel she should. In the time we've had her she's only gained 3 pounds.

I tried holistic select and she didn't care for that either.

Has anyone used Natural Balance? Any reviews on it?

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Natural balance is not a good choice for a puppy.You want a food with meat as the first ingredient or meat meal. I would look into Orijen or a food with higher protein then Natural balance offers. Puppies need meat to gain lean muscle mass. The grains just make them fat.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
3 pounds in 2 weeks is a good gain! You don't want rapid growth, you steady growth so as not to tax developing bones and muscles! Fromm is a good food and the reason you may think your dog is not eating a lot of it could be because it is a calorie dense food so they need to eat less of it to fill themselves up! If you want to add something as a topper that would be ok too. A raw chicken leg a couple of times a week, or raw ribs would benefit teeth too! Also take into mind there will be growth spurts where your dog will need more food .......just keep track by keeping a 'hands on check' ! As long as there is a slow steady growth in size and weight without ribs or hip bones sticking out sharply, it is good!

Reactions: Rain and KayWilson

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I'll echo @LuvMyFluff, 3 pounds in 2 weeks is pretty steady growth for a lab, but depends on what her current weight is. We labs you want them to grow nice a slowly, I believe the ideal weight gain per week is right around 2 pounds per, so she only a little off (by 1 lb). You can try adding a wet food topper, but I personally would just leave her. It's better if she's a leaner puppy than a fat puppy, helps with her joints later; believe me that fat is hard to get back off.

Also why do you feel she's not eating the Fromm well? is she leaving some of her portion behind? If so, she might be good at self regulation (lucky, my lab is not a good self-regulator lol). You can just pick up that portion and reserve later, or use as treats, or even try feeding her smaller portions throughout the day. I personally wouldn't start the food rollercoaster if she's eating the food just fine and is growing. If she weren't gaining or not eating the food, then I would be concerned and think of switching.

·
Registered
324 Posts
My breeder started my now 13 week old puppy on Natural Balance and I have had a really hard time getting him off it :( I am now at a 50/50 mix of that and Candidae Pure and fingers crossed we can continue to make the switch to 100% Candidae. He poops 6-8 times a day b/c Natural Balance is all potato and I think he isn't making use of it at all thus pooping it out.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I fed my lab pup 4 health puppy from tractor supply and she loved it. Also taste of the wild has some good forumlad for puppies now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
230 Posts
I just found this out to. Get on "taste of the wilds" wesbite. Go to "contact us", call the number and ask them what they would recommend, they will recommend some foods and then offer to send you FREE samples of what they recommend! So you can see what your pup likes and then go from their

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
I HIGHLY recommend VeRus' puppy foods. They have a large breed puppy formula specifically made for dogs that will be 60 lbs or more at maturity. It can be fed up to 20 months - which gives them plenty of time to mature. First ingredients are Chicken & chicken meal. Chickens are cage-free from W.VA. There is also a regular puppy formula for breeds that aren't expected to get above 60 lbs.
If you go to Verus Pet Foods - Home you'll get a lot of good info and you can fill out their contact form to determine the best food for your puppy AND get nice sized free samples. They've also never had a recall (which is how I found them)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts