Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive recently switched Sawyer from taste of the wild to zignature. He went from TOTW wetlands (roasted formula) to zignature's trout and salmon formula. I did make sure to slowly switch him over, which I would have liked to do 1 or 2 more days but ive run out of TOTW. Today is day 2 of being competly on zignature. He seems to really like his new food, but I feel like he's going out to the bathroom more frequently. He would normally go out 1 or 2 times a day but now he goes to the bathroom closer to 4 times a day. And they seem a bit softer then normal.
Is this because zignature is a limited ingredient? Does he need a bit more time for his system to get used to it?
Im wondering to if he would do better on the duck formula. If I remember correctly when we tried a few different flavors of TOTW, and he liked duck and I think bison better then the fish.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Is it higher fat? That could definitely make it run through his system more quickly. If he's not sick, I'd give it another week to see if he adjusts, and if he's still going that often, I'd switch to another formula or food.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I think it might just be from the transition. Maybe give it a week or so to see if he does any better. Levi is on Taste of the Wild and poops probably twice a day. When he was on Raw he pooped once a day, and it was a nice hard, poop. I never thought I'd say this, but I really miss those poops.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice, I would have actually kept him on taste of the wild since I like it. But the duck formula has chicken meal in it, and the duck formula was his favorite.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would try the turkey but since its very similar to chicken I try to stay away from it.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Zignature is quite high in fibre with all the legumes in the food. That could be causing the increased number of poops and consistency.

If you are happy with TOTW, then stick with it. Their Southwest Canyon food does not have any chicken meal in it, neither does the Sierra Mountain.

Although, some feel that rotating keeps things interesting, it may not work with Sawyer. Some dogs just don't do well with certain brands of food, no matter how much we want them to! My crew HATE Acana. I can't get them to eat it no matter what I have tried. And Merrick, even the LID foods, give them horrible poops - soft, large, lots and....pee-yooo!

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice,
I'll try sticking with it for the rest of the week. But I'm getting the feeling its not goig to work for him. I think I'm leaning more twoards switching brands instead of getting duck.
I think I'll either go with acana, canidae or possibly avoderm. Hopefully I can find one that works for him soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts