Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got an allergy test done for my dog and it seems nearly impossible to find a food she can eat.

She is allergic to:

Eggs
Flax (Is this the same as Flax seed???)
Green Peas
Kelp
Poultry Mix, Chicken & Turkey
Salmon
Soybean

With the allergy test came a list of "approved foods." HOWEVER, these foods have PEAS or pea protein in them! Or Chicken Meal! I don't understand how they are listed as an "approved" food!

That allergy test was done through "spectrum." I just ordered an allergy test kit from "Glacier Peak Holistics" to do an additional allergy test because I am not trusting the one that was done through the vet. And I have heard excellent reviews about their allergy tests (plus it is much more reasonably priced that the vet's allergy testing).

I just started feeding her The Honest Kitchen Love Dehydrated Dog Food with Ranch Raised Beef. Only problem is that it has "flax seed." Her allergy test specifies she is allergic to "flax." Is "flax" different than "flax seed?" Additionally, the price point of this food is high for us, but we are willing to sacrifice eating for a week so the dog can eat. :rofl:

The only other food I found that she can have is Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Formula Dry Dog Food. I really don't like the thought of feeding her lamb because I am against killing baby sheep.

I do NOT want to do canned food. We are willing to do dry or dehydrated foods.

This has been really tough trying to find a food she can actually eat!

HELP!

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Flax and flax seed are the same thing. Linen is also flax, so if there is also a contact allergy, you might want to avoid that. And don't go traipsing through blue flowered fields.

You can try raw, since cooking denatures the protein which can be enough to make it not-allergic any more. Tesla is fine with raw chicken or beef, but can't have it cooked. Likewise cooked salmon is fine, but raw salmon is instant puffy eyes and snotty nose. I always recommend finding a nutritionist to help you develop a plan just to be certain.

Are the suggested foods prescription for-allergy foods? If so, they are probably recommended even though they have chicken and peas because the chicken and peas have been hydrolysed into their component amino acids. Since they are broken apart, they won't really register. Chicken fat can also be deproteinized and can occasionally be okay.

As for the baby lambs, in dog food, lamb is usually adult mutton, but they use the lamb label because it is what people recognize.

You can also try feeding something that makes the pup only sorta allergic and add in an anti-histamine. That is pretty much what I have to do with Tesla.

If you can find it, Canadian Natural's Limited ingredient duck recipe should be better price-wise than the honest kitchen. Though it also has flaxseed.

Oh! And there is also FirstMate Pacific Ocean Fish Meal Original Formula if the chicken fat is deproteinized.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I would be VERY new to this. I have never done it. How would I know that my dog is receiving all the important nutrients she requires??
It comes from feeding a variety of different proteins, edible bones and organs. Those supply all the nutrients a dog needs, when fed raw. Just FYI, here is a site of all raw feeding and a getting started guide as well. That way you can get a feel as to how to go about it. Just a research thing for you, to see if raw is something you may be interested in. Its rare for dogs to have true allergies to proteins, much more common to just have intolerances. In raw form, proteins are completely different than cooked which is what the allergy tests go off of. Prey Model Raw - PMR dog food

·
Registered
33 Posts
Raw is relatively easy to do, with enough research (I did about three days of intensive research) and am already feeding raw. Prey model raw is easy to do once you know the basics, though I do ecommend getting a second freezer, like a chest freezer, because the true variety of available proteins and organ meats will be online. In fact there is one raw site that sells pretty much every type of protein you could ever need with any size dog. Including the strange cuts that usually only local butchers can provide. Including the strange bones that your dog can eat and also the organs like green tripe. I am also considering transferring my cats over to prey model raw because I have one who is diabetic and sometimes switching over to raw can get rid of the need for insulin. However with people who do raw with their cats, they supplement unnecessarily instead of doing the correct research and correctly giving their cats what they need.

·
Banned
4 Posts
I got an allergy test done for my dog and it seems nearly impossible to find a food she can eat.

She is allergic to:

Eggs
Flax (Is this the same as Flax seed???)
Green Peas
Kelp
Poultry Mix, Chicken & Turkey
Salmon
Soybean

With the allergy test came a list of "approved foods." HOWEVER, these foods have PEAS or pea protein in them! Or Chicken Meal! I don't understand how they are listed as an "approved" food!

That allergy test was done through "spectrum." I just ordered an allergy test kit from "Glacier Peak Holistics" to do an additional allergy test because I am not trusting the one that was done through the vet. And I have heard excellent reviews about their allergy tests (plus it is much more reasonably priced that the vet's allergy testing).

I just started feeding her The Honest Kitchen Love Dehydrated Dog Food with Ranch Raised Beef. Only problem is that it has "flax seed." Her allergy test specifies she is allergic to "flax." Is "flax" different than "flax seed?" Additionally, the price point of this food is high for us, but we are willing to sacrifice eating for a week so the dog can eat. 🤣

The only other food I found that she can have is Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Formula Dry Dog Food. I really don't like the thought of feeding her lamb because I am against killing baby sheep.

I do NOT want to do canned food. We are willing to do dry or dehydrated foods.

This has been really tough trying to find a food she can actually eat!

HELP!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.