Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My dog was diagnosed with dog food allergies. He has been eating Iams Large breed food since we got him when he was 4 months old. He is now 5 years old and he is a labradoodle. We noticed some spots on him about a year ago. Mostly on his belly. Took him to the vet and they thought it was ringworm. He went on a treatment. Never fully went away but got better. I was convinced it was not ringworm. Finally last month I noticed he was getting an ear infection and the spots had gotten worse. Now on his back, belly, inside of his legs and chest. Very itchy and scabby. So took him in and ear infection and food allergies. He is on Purina Proplan HA Hydrolized Dog Formula. I don't want to keep him on this food permanently since it's prescription and quite expensive. I don't think it offers enough for his nutritional needs as he seems hungry. He has been on it for about 3 weeks and the spots are nearly gone. Just wondering if there is anyone out there that has gone through this and can recommend a food to try for him. I was thinking of Natural Balance. Is this good food to try? Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
I'd be hungry too if I was living on HA, only bit of meat is hydrolyzed chicken liver.

Iam's is garbage, packed full of grainy goodness. Look for something grain free, chances are that's where the dogs intolerances are. Acana has grain free foods, good bang for the buck.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
The trick is going to be to figure out what it is that he's allergic to. To do that start slowly introducing him to different foods, I'd start with proteins, one by one and give it a week or so to see how he does with each one.

As Jagger said, grains are often an allergen in dogs, and it's very easy to just avoid those altogether, many dogs do best without them in their diet.

Natural Balance is a great food for figuring out allergies, but it is loaded with carbs, read the ingredient list and you'll see that meat is usually 2nd on the list. Personally I use Fromm, my boy is sensitive to beef, chicken, and salmon, I feed him the grain free pork, and grain free Duckenpfeffer. The Duckenpfeffer is a multi protein food and has rabbit, pork and duck in it.

Considering you were feeding Iams, I'd avoid chicken and maybe beef to start with, as that's what Iams usually uses for it's meat. Try things like pork, fish, bison, duck, turkey, and rabbit, to see how he does then choose a food based on what he does best on.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Although I prefer raw, I believe salmon and sweet potato grain free is an acceptable alternative for certain dogs with allergies.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We also have to keep our dog on specific foods due to some intolerances. After trying a few brands, we have landed on Taste of the Wild. Its grain free, and they offer lots of different proteins. We do the Salmon one (Pacific Stream is the name) because it is best on our guy's stomach. Its remarkably inexpensive for the quality, especially compared to how much you can spend on higher quality foods. Our dog doesn't have allergies with the itching and the hot spots, but in my research of dog foods, I read about a lot of people who had good experiences with Taste of the Wild and their dogs allergies :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got Apollo Acana Duck & Pear and he seems to be doing well with it. He has only been on it for a week. He likes it too. Seems a lot more satisfied and hungry scrounging for food.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you’re a pet owner just like me, It is then a must that you know more about the specific food and nutrition requirements that our dogs must-have.

Best Dry food should contain the following:
  • premium-quality sources of protein, fats, and carbohydrates
  • Meat meals should mention what type of meat was used and mention it in the ingredients list first
  • The protein-fat ratio is ideal (amount and percentage would depend on the size, age, and breed of your canine)
  • Essential vitamins and minerals from premium-quality food sources
  • Must have probiotics/prebiotics and fiber for better digestion

1 - 10 of 10 Posts