Dog Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, she didn't really X3.
I had just gotten off the bus from work and was walking home. When this little white dog trotted across the road (car just missed it which gave me a bit of a heart attack) and sniffed on my shoes. So I scratched her back and she rolled over for me. As i rubbed her tummy but firm enough to not let her go, I looked at her collar for a tag but there were none. She was kinda dirty so she had to have been out for a day or two. So I picked her up as I did with princess (Princess was a lot lighter honestly...) and called 311.
after 2 unsucessful calls, a 20 minute hold I finally found that the animal police I was forward to gave me the city and not for my area. called 411 they gave me humane society who only deals with cats. By this time I had already made it home, put the dog in Strider cage (Strider didn't bark, just sniffed curiously with wagging tail) and finally looked up the number to the nearest precinct. They in turn called Animal police of the area.

before they picked her up, I noted the very friendly traits she had and the fact that Strider was happy to meet her. Strider I knew could use a playmate. So I called my mom and mom wanted pictures. I sent and she was like "call them off, I want her" course I didn't listen to her and gave the dog up, expressed we wanted her and he gave me a card.

Only problem is is that the dog did defecate on my hardwood floor.
Princess use to do that, and I was going to try to teach her about kitty litter. I wonder if the dog did it out of excitement or what..? second I worry about double training/walking as Strider is the first dog I'm training though this other dog seems already 3-4 years old. She'd probably bring some balance back to the home as well however...

So what are all of your thoughts?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Every dog I've ever had regardless of age has had to poop on the floor when they got to their new home. Excitement? Fear? marking? I don't know but every one has done it. And some never did it again.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I wouldn't read to much into it...the dog was probably stressed and may not have even lived inside before. :)

How long to they keep her before you can adopt her? Here its three days.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Our humane society does not pick up strays (they have to be sick or injured or look in horrible condition to be called a stray), rather the pound does and they have to give the owner 7 days to find their dog, I feel bad for the owners on this case if it seems she just got out within a day or a two. After the 7 days the dog is then put up for adoption.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's 7 days here. My mom has to call next week Monday to see if she was picked up.
I didn't really explain the defecation... It was runny. I thought Oh she must be malnutritioned from being out so long.
Right now, I think she was sick. Because I have to take Strider to the Vet either tomorrow or Wednesday. He had the same kind of runnyness but the second one he did had blood. Plus he vomited white foam two mornings in a row with a little trace of his kibble.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
It's 7 days here. My mom has to call next week Monday to see if she was picked up.
I didn't really explain the defecation... It was runny. I thought Oh she must be malnutritioned from being out so long.
Right now, I think she was sick. Because I have to take Strider to the Vet either tomorrow or Wednesday. He had the same kind of runnyness but the second one he did had blood. Plus he vomited white foam two mornings in a row with a little trace of his kibble.
Um did this issue with Strider happen AFTER you brought the dog in your house? How old is Strider? I hope not a puppy....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I'd think bloody anything is bad lol... and yeah I believe the problems happened after her. He gave me a little scare today with his heaving, and coughing when he tried to growl. I'm scrambling to find someone that will give me a ride thursday since I only have my car tuesdays and wednsdays unless I just walk in but it'd cost me 55 bucks for such instead of 25-30. Strider is just about 8 months old. I'm just annoyed because I found that the white foam vomit has occured before but the previous owner said that the vet said that it may not be something to worry about. I'm not convinced.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Well I'd think bloody anything is bad lol... and yeah I believe the problems happened after her. He gave me a little scare today with his heaving, and coughing when he tried to growl. I'm scrambling to find someone that will give me a ride thursday since I only have my car tuesdays and wednsdays unless I just walk in but it'd cost me 55 bucks for such instead of 25-30. Strider is just about 8 months old. I'm just annoyed because I found that the white foam vomit has occured before but the previous owner said that the vet said that it may not be something to worry about. I'm not convinced.

Ok is your dog vaccinate? Bloody diarrhea is bad, gagging could be something else if its not frequent. I say have him checked out by a vet as soon as you can, better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think he has only one more left for the year. I'm not sure what that shot is really. but yeah, I'm still looking for people... I think I'm just going to take him after I get off from work.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
If he is not fully vaccinated you should have not brought a strange dog into the home. It sounds too soon tho to be anything serious, as far as I am concerned Parvo takes about a week for the dog to show symptoms, I could be wrong tho. Vet visit is the best way to go, let us know what happens

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I was lucky. I managed to get an appointment from the previous owner who was going to take his other dog for vaccinations. Told me he couldn't make it anyway. 9.9 I got lost on my way though and being after 7 it was already pitch black. I notice the nicer the neighborhood, the less lights there are... So I was 40 minutes late so I ended up being the last person to be seen.

The doctor, I could tell, was completely belittling me, making me feel like I was wasting his time.The nurse there seemed to understand why I was concerned but jeez... Since he was saying, that it's probably just because he had a diet change. Also he wasn't concerned because he didn't look sick. I told him I understand the diet change and I could deal with simple diarrhea (cause Sam didn't respond well when we changed his food to something cheaper) but I wouldn't' be here if he didn't spurt blood. So he just gave a sigh, checked him out, took a sample and told me he'd call if there were parasites. I'm kinda left to figure out what the hell he ate exactly that inflamed his system. found out though that the previous owner fed him a rice and chicken formula for puppies. I feed him Beniful but since I just ran out of it tonight, I'll see how much that puppy formula is...

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I've had vets do that....vote with your money...go to som'one else next time. :)

I take in strays all the time and have never worried until one I took in need to go to the vet ASAP for an injury turns out he had LICE...the vet had never even seen dog lice before and I ended up having to give 7 baths when i got home. Strays stay outside now. :p

beneful is a pretty yucky food...are you on a budget? Lots of dogs have allergies to it. Iam sure we can point out alternatives :) :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds good. Actually makes sense as to why Princess wouldn't eat it. (I didn't know she wasn't eating it since I was away at college) Kevin (the previous owner) told me that Beniful has like corn meal in it that dries out skin too. I've been seeing him scratch a lot so I'll look for alternatives... I actually don't pay for the food. My parents do so I have to go through them. However, I'm sure they are on a budget.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I feed no corn, wheat or soy products. That includes meal...like cornmeal for example. My boys have sensitive stomachs and that was one of the first things I learned. Corn is the worst for them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts