Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Anyone going to be vaccinating? I read that and now I'm wondering if I could call my vet and ask if she does them...

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Did you guys read the very first response to the very first article? I am so interested now in species jumping of diseases!!! LOL I never knew humans and cats develop canine kennel cough!

I have been doing some research on vaccinating dogs and really think I will consider NOT vaccinating my dogs for every little thing, heck I don't vaccinate myself for everything (especially the flu!)

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Pawz-I'm really interested in vaccinations-and why people choose not to-can you share your research stuff-I'd love to read it ;)

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Pawz-I'm really interested in vaccinations-and why people choose not to-can you share your research stuff-I'd love to read it ;)
To be honest I have just researched it online and listened to others opinions. There is a lot of articles that say its rare for a pet to have long term adverse reactions from vaccinating yearly for things such as distemper/parvo. There are also strong advocates against vaccinating because their pet had a harsh long term reaction to annual vaccines.

I think to each their own, I personally NEVER get vaccinated against things unless its required (for schools, etc.) so why should my dogs be vaccinated yearly if its not necessary? I will more than likely have a titer done to see how the vaccine is holding up in their systems and continue with the required rabies vaccine (every 3 yrs).

I am still looking for articles on parvo and what makes a good host for the infection (ie. just puppies or dogs NEVER vaccinated, or any dog who does not have the vaccination currently in their system). Luckily all of my dogs are clear until next year so I still have time lol.

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To be honest I have just researched it online and listened to others opinions. There is a lot of articles that say its rare for a pet to have long term adverse reactions from vaccinating yearly for things such as distemper/parvo. There are also strong advocates against vaccinating because their pet had a harsh long term reaction to annual vaccines.

I think to each their own, I personally NEVER get vaccinated against things unless its required (for schools, etc.) so why should my dogs be vaccinated yearly if its not necessary? I will more than likely have a titer done to see how the vaccine is holding up in their systems and continue with the required rabies vaccine (every 3 yrs).

I am still looking for articles on parvo and what makes a good host for the infection (ie. just puppies or dogs NEVER vaccinated, or any dog who does not have the vaccination currently in their system). Luckily all of my dogs are clear until next year so I still have time lol.
hey, keep us posted if you find out anything or an article you'd recommend. i personally have mixed feelings about it. you probably already know about cats developing carcanoma (sp?) in the injections site?

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
hey, keep us posted if you find out anything or an article you'd recommend. i personally have mixed feelings about it. you probably already know about cats developing carcanoma (sp?) in the injections site?
NO!!!! My cats do not get vaccinated cuz they are indoor kitties. :eyeroll: sometimes people think they are doing the best thing for an animal or even a child and they aren't... I am in class with a girl whose parents make her go to the dentist every 6 months, the doctor for a physical every 6 months and she gets EVERY vaccine in the book.... I am just the opposite...

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Yeah, I'd only be vaccinating Chili and Critter. Since they have the funky immune systems....maaaybe Kiwi...

I agree, I'd rather not vaccinate for every little thing.
Do you think we should discuss this with our vet for Glacier? I wonder if he has a compromised immune system and if we should be careful about vaccinating him or not vaccinating him with everything (I don't know which way to go here)

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
Do you think we should discuss this with our vet for Glacier? I wonder if he has a compromised immune system and if we should be careful about vaccinating him or not vaccinating him with everything (I don't know which way to go here)

I think the reaction to a vaccine would likely be milder than if he got the real thing...I might be wrong, but it makes sence to me. I'd rather my immunosupressed dogs have the antibodies already before they contract it.

They just seem to have a harder time getting over stuff...like Kiwi, when she gets Kennel cough it takes FOREVER for her to kick it...even with meds and the vaccine...

Though, if hes not playing with wierd dogs, the risk is low anyway. Critter is due for a vet visit soon and Iam good friends with my vet, he wont feed me any BS...lol

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I think the reaction to a vaccine would likely be milder than if he got the real thing...I might be wrong, but it makes sence to me. I'd rather my immunosupressed dogs have the antibodies already before they contract it.

They just seem to have a harder time getting over stuff...like Kiwi, when she gets Kennel cough it takes FOREVER for her to kick it...even with meds and the vaccine...

Though, if hes not playing with wierd dogs, the risk is low anyway. Critter is due for a vet visit soon and Iam good friends with my vet, he wont feed me any BS...lol
Yea our vets like to use holistic approaches when possible. Like when we got Glacier he had a green snotty runny nose and the vet said to give him a couple days and watch him before we put him on something, I like that about them, its what I do for myself ya know?

Yea I am not worried about my other boys and girls, just Glacier (speaking of Glacier I just got loads of kisses out of the blue) LOL.

How do you test for autoimmune issues? Bloodwork?

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
NO!!!! My cats do not get vaccinated cuz they are indoor kitties. :eyeroll: sometimes people think they are doing the best thing for an animal or even a child and they aren't... I am in class with a girl whose parents make her go to the dentist every 6 months, the doctor for a physical every 6 months and she gets EVERY vaccine in the book.... I am just the opposite...
i've had a bunch of vaccines, but i used to live in an employee/group housing thing in yosemite for a long time. communal living in a national park with visitors from all over the world....it was highly recommended that i do so....
my first vet for my cat suggested i get his baby vaccines and then leave it at that when i brought it up. next vet recommended i get a booster when my rommate brought in a new kitten (didn't really know where the kitten came from...). now i don't have a vet for him yet....not sure if clover is keeping the same vet, i really liked the guy but the office was so busy, he didn't really have time to answer all of my questions (he was cool with my dog though, i like that)
i think i'll take fawkes to this other guy for his check-up and figure it out......anyway, when i take him in, i'll see what the vet recommends and how well he is able to explain to me why etc. and go from there. all of our cats are indoor/outdoor but only on leashes or in our smallish backyard....

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
Yea our vets like to use holistic approaches when possible. Like when we got Glacier he had a green snotty runny nose and the vet said to give him a couple days and watch him before we put him on something, I like that about them, its what I do for myself ya know?

Yea I am not worried about my other boys and girls, just Glacier (speaking of Glacier I just got loads of kisses out of the blue) LOL.

How do you test for autoimmune issues? Bloodwork?

well autoimmune (allergies)they can take a biopsy of the skin and test for specific stuff...most vets don't bother since an allergy is pretty obviously an allergy so they just treat it with steroids if the cause can't be determined or eliminated...allergy tests are pretty useless.

an immune system defect or deficiency (what Chili and Kiwi have) would be a blood test among other things... usually what is happening is the body is not creating certain antibodies or they are being created but are defective...at least thats my understanding of it. My dogs weren't tested as the vet didn't see a need to test for what was obvious due to the symptoms...I can have a test done to see what the specific problems are...they usually test the thyroid....but there really more tests than I can list..I haven't put my dogs thru the ringer testing for everything as my vets have not recommended it and I'd hate to put my dogs thru that if there is no need.

Kiwi is both defective and autoimmune Chili has just a defect...though he is still young and may develop allergies later.

Chili had a moderate reaction to his rabies vaccine. He developed a nice size lump which was his bodies way of saying "ahhhh stop that!"

Immune Deficiency Diseases
Immune deficiency diseases sire a group of disorders in which normal host defenses against disease are impaired. These include disruption of the body's mechanical barriers to invasion (e.g., normal bacterial flora; the eye and skin; respiratory tract cilia); defects in non-specific host defenses (e.g., complement deficiency; functional white blood cell disorders), and defects in specific host defenses (e.g., immunosuppression caused by pathogenic bacteria, viruses and parasites; combined immune deficiency; IgA deficiency; growth hormone deficiency).
igA is an antibody....from what I understand its the most common one to have a problem. The problem could really be anywhere ...from the blood to the skin to hormones to vaccines and even diet (diet affects the thyroid which in turn affects everything)...its a pretty endless list of possibilities unfortunately.

dont' know if that helps :(

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
scenthound I am in AZ too!!!!

Crio - it helps ty! I guess it is something I should discuss with our vet if Glacier continues to have problems :) Right now I will just assume the poor guy has mange lol

·
Registered
11,148 Posts
I'm not in AZ,;) I am in Texas, but have been through there on many occasions. That is just a site I found while looking up this new strain.

The fever is nasty on this strain. Both Cleo and Missy hit 106, I ended up using ice packs next to them (they utilized the packs themselves once they realized they were cold) and cool water in the bath to break their fevers. They are both resting right now. I am about to take a nap myself, after I make a grilled cheese sandwich and some tomato soup. :)

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I'm not in AZ,;) I am in Texas, but have been through there on many occasions. That is just a site I found while looking up this new strain.

The fever is nasty on this strain. Both Cleo and Missy hit 106, I ended up using ice packs next to them (they utilized the packs themselves once they realized they were cold) and cool water in the bath to break their fevers. They are both resting right now. I am about to take a nap myself, after I make a grilled cheese sandwich and some tomato soup. :)
OH lol :eek:

So your dogs had the dog flu? Do you have the flu? Is this ALSO contagious from people to dogs and vice versa (I did not read that)

·
Registered
11,148 Posts
OH lol :eek:

So your dogs had the dog flu? Do you have the flu? Is this ALSO contagious from people to dogs and vice versa (I did not read that)
They currently do. It is not contagious to humans. Missy was just getting clear of Parvo and the Canine flu hit her. Her immune system was trashed and made her vulnerable. Cleo was vaccinated for everything except this new strain and she caught it. Biggest thing that could be a problem with this strain in dogs is that it has a high possibility to develop into Pneumonia. For the first day or so, Missy was Weezing and breathing hard. Reminded me of someone with full blown pnemonia. Cleo, on the other hand, has only had the high fever, coughing, and sneezing.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
ugh that sucks. Do they have to physically come into contact with another dog with it? I live around an area where many people don't even know what vaccine means... UGH

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.