Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Virginia, near Maryland and Washington DC, and I have read that influenza has hit the dog (and other pet) population and is highly contagious, as it I with humans. Any thoughts on how to keep it contained and whether the virus can spread from or to humans.

Dog flu impacting pets in 46 states

·
Super Moderator
9,234 Posts
This is similar to the dog flu that plagued Florida and many other areas last year. Keeping it contained is nearly impossible as it is spread through the air and the vaccines are not guaranteed to prevent it. It started at a confirmation show and they traced it back to the crating areas. When the contagious dog would sneeze the virus is spread through the air and landed on all of the crates surrounding. Some believed that if they covered their crates it helped prevent it. IDK how true that is though.

With it being so bad in our area I avoided taking my dogs out. While they are middle age and healthy, I didn't want to risk it. Agility trials canceled or rescheduled and classes were canceled as well.

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
There have just been three reported cases in Canada as well. I keep my dogs away from strange dogs, and away from high traffic areas.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I thought, or maybe just hoped, that it was fading this year. So far our dog has escaped the dog flu, but the humans in the household have not escaped the human flu, despite flu shots.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts