Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm having some real trouble with one of my bitches who keeps digging underneath the yard fence. She seems to be determined to get out. Our yard is big. Yes she could do with a bit more exercise, but she's not THAT under-exercised. I don't know if it's just her prey drive driving her, or what. But I can't have her running loose all over the farm. Especially since she is usually followed by my male who have a beef with the workers and is prone to chasing them. We pack the fences with rocks, but she is a strong dog and if she becomes determined she just pushes them out of her way. So I'm thinking of installing an electric fence to put her off. But now I don't know which type is better. The normal hot-wire like farmers use to keep jackal out or the true pet fence type that requires her to wear a special collar. I'm thinking depending on price the first one might be better. Might also put some other critters like skunks off coming into the yard. Does anybody here use any of those types and what's your experience with it? Good? Bad?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I have used a hot wire along the foot of a fence before to stop digging, just a single well placed strand but be well aware some dogs think it is worth a zap to get to the other side, lol
I now line my fence lines with metal grating sunk just below the surface dirt.

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Either CAN work, but it does vary from dog to dog. For example a hot wire could still be dug under, and the efence isn't exactly an excruiating zap, some dogs WILL stand in the zap zone if they're worked up enough.

You might also try adding a layer of chicken wire at the bottom of the fence. Dig down a couple inches at the base of the fence (on the inside) and extending a couple feet into the yard. Laydown a layer of chicken wire and wire it tight to the fence itself, then bury it.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
What I did for my yard was bury 18" cinder blocks around the perimeter. They're big, they go down deep, they're heavy, and when they're lined up next to each other, they can't be dug around or moved to the side.

I did this more to keep my neighbor's dogs out than to keep mine in, and trust me it worked.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I have used my horse electric fence along the bottom of the fence when a couple of neighbor dogs kept digging into my fenced yard and I also used it when I had a Bluetick hound that kept trying to dig out. It worked fine, you just have to make sure you keep the grass trimmed down short under it and it does not usually work when there is snow on the ground but by then your dog should know enough to not try. I had it along the top of my fence to keep my horse from reaching over and Kris jumped up on the fence and hit it, she never tried to jump on that part of the fence again.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a million everyone. The yard has what we call jackal proof fence. It has the bigger hole variety of chicken wire around the bottom. Normal fence will NOT keep these escape artists of mine in. The proofing is packed with rocks around the bottom. We have repacked the weak part of the fence with nice big rocks and so far so good. It's been two days with no escapes. And that's not for a lack of wanting. I left the yard without them. A few of my goats decided to kid unexpectedly, so I"m currently leaving the yard without them a few times a day. They run that fence seeking a way out, but no luck so far. If that doesn't work, we might try the cinder blocks, or grandpa's method, he cemented in his chicken wire between bricks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts