Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. So earlier in the week I posted that my dog was peeing on her bedding in the crate overnight. I've only recently begun housebreaking her so I wasn't surprised to find that she was peeing overnight in the crate. It was suggested that I remove the bedding and leave her with just the crate tray. I did this and we haven't had any over night accidents since. However, now the dog is not doing well overnight w/o bedding. She is excessively and loudly whining and crying throughout the entire night. She won't really lie down on the tray. If she does it's for short periods and then she's up turning in circles. Although she's only been using the crate for a short time, when I initially presented it to her (with bedding) she took to it immediately and being in it overnight was not a problem. It's only since the removal of the bedding that she's experiencing restless nights. I have the feeling that if I place the bedding back the excessive whining and crying will stop, but since she's not entirely housebroken she could very likely pee on the bedding during the night again. I'm wondering, if I buy a plastic mat to place in the crate could it help ease her anxiety? I need advise. I've been doing lots of reading online on crate training and although the information I've found is useful none of it has given me information on a situation like this. Most of the information I've read consistently says that most dogs do well sleeping in a crate w/o bedding but that some lean short hair dogs don't, which is my dog's body type. Aside from the fact that I'm recently sleep deprived and concerned that perhaps so are my downstairs neighbor, I'm really more concerned and getting anxious for the dog. I feel bad and don't know what to do the put her at ease. She has an anxiety wrap that she's wearing and I have a Comfort Zone with DAP plugged in, hoping it will eventually help. What else can I do for her? Any suggestions would be tremendously appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
10,720 Posts
I'm sorry that she isn't adjusting to not having bedding. I'm not sure where you live but it's been getting pretty cool at night where I am and that may be part of the problem since she's short haired.

What you might try doing is giving her some bedding but get up at least once in the middle of the night to take her out so that she's less likely to have an accident. I'm not sure a mat will work if she's looking for something to cuddle into and help keep her warm.

If you don't mind her using puppy pads you can try putting her in a small room or x-pen with her crate set up with bedding or a dog bed and the rest of the floor space covered in puppy pads, and see if she'll use the puppy pads rather then her bedding. As she gets the hang of peeing on the puppy pads slowly reduce the number of pads out till your down to her peeing on one. The puppy pad will be her nighttime potty spot.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Drs Foster and Smith (website) offer crate-sized dog beds with vinyl cover options. Perhaps she'd enjoy the cushioning from that type of crate mat, but because the material isn't absorbant she might be less likely to pee on it. Maybe worth a try?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
434 Posts
You said you've had this dog for 3 years, and only now trying to house train her...

I would get her a bigger crate, so she at least doesn't have to lie in it... Divide the crate with a peeing area and a sleeping area... Nice soft place to sleep, and easily cleaning pee pads...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts