Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi. i have a rescue pit bull whos about 4 years old. he's a very excitable, energetic dog as it is. He also, and im only mentioning this because i have no idea if this could be part of it or not, but sometimes when he pees it can last for 5 minutes. someone once told me that could be a sign of diabetes? i have no idea.
Anyways, main point...we've had him for 2 and a half years of his life and have seen him do this about 3 times now:
he will start to look confused and try to get to a person where ever he is in the house, then he loses control of his back legs and shakes and will then start peeing. after he pees the shaking still continues for a bit but you can tell hes coming back to. then he will stand there for a little and look lost and kind of sway/wobble. then he's fine. i was looking up a lot of stuff online and thought it seemed similar to epilepsy? I was wondering what kind of natural stuff i can do for my dog, if any.
i know the first thing people will say is to take him to a vet. heres the issue: yes he is always current with vaccines etc and goes to check ups...but running tests for epilepsy/seizures is extremely costly. and theyll do multiple...im a 25 yr old college student who does not make a lot of money. and i dont think giving him to someone who can afford the vet bills would work out for several reasons; 1....not many people would take a dog that needs a couple grand in research. 2...he goes jogging with us almost daily, goes backpacking, kayaking, canoeing, road trips....he lives a great life the rest of the time. i love this dog to death and i dont know what to do for him. any advice would be great. :D

thanks!

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
He has only had 3 seizure-like episodes in 2.5 years? They do sound like seizures based on what you're saying. If it ever happens again, you should try to get video of it to show a vet at some point if things get worse.

If that's the case, then I wouldn't be doing any testing, nor would I be starting him on any medication to prevent seizures. The goal with seizure control meds is to make the seizures to they only happen once per month. You're already better than that. Seizures that infrequently are fine. I would, however, discuss having Valium at home for when he DOES have a seizure. Anti-epileptic drugs can have serious side effects and, IMO, he's not severe enough to be on them. If he were to have more than 1 in a 24 hour period then yes, he should be on meds. At the very least at that point some baseline bloodwork should be done to make sure it's not a metabolic issue or tick borne. Other than that, yes, you could do an MRI or CSF testing but few people actually do that as it is often times totally normal in dogs this age. You should keep a log of when he has a seizure, what he does and how long it lasts so you can see if it's getting worse.

I never put our last dog on anti-epileptic meds. She'd have a seizure once every few months to the point where once they were years apart. She didn't have another one after like 7 years old (and she lived till 14).

As for the urination, yes, it would be good to have baseline bloodwork and urine testing done to make sure it's not diabetes, kidney disease, a UTI or urinary crystals. That all should only cost a couple hundred dollars. If he's otherwise acting normally and you want to wait, that's okay. Some dogs simply drink a lot and urinate a lot. There may not be anything wrong with him, but only testing can tell you that.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
hi.

i know the first thing people will say is to take him to a vet. heres the issue: yes he is always current with vaccines etc and goes to check ups...but running tests for epilepsy/seizures is extremely costly. and theyll do multiple...im a 25 yr old college student who does not make a lot of money. and i dont think giving him to someone who can afford the vet bills would work out for several reasons; 1....not many people would take a dog that needs a couple grand in research. 2...he goes jogging with us almost daily, goes backpacking, kayaking, canoeing, road trips....he lives a great life the rest of the time. i love this dog to death and i dont know what to do for him. any advice would be great. :D

thanks!
Defiantly sounds like seizures. My cat started having them after a rabies shot. We had to get him vaccinated to move out of the country. That was the trigger then I added to it by giving him food with colors and dyes in it.
He was having up to 8 seizures in one day because of the food. I started feeding real meat to my cat and within a week the lessened and with in a month they stopped all together and that was 4 years ago. I know they have seizures for other reasons but it can be as simple as a change to a more natural food sometimes. Look on the foods bag and see it there is yellow 5, yellow 6, red 40 look into the treats also. The dyes do something to change the brain chemicals that give them seizures. I would also look for naturally preserved food.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you guys much. im feeling better already. and the dog food we use is completely natural and organic. but i def read that food does affect animals so thank you for the good advice. since it is so rare that it happens ill just keep a log to make sure its not getting more frequent and next time we go for our check up ill mention it to our vet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts