Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rottweiler mix, Odin has an obsession with putting everything in his mouth. Most of the time I catch him at it and can take the item from his mouth, but lately it is blankets! Almost every blanket I have he has chewed a hole in and ingested the material. Sometimes he throws it up in the morning and sometimes I find it in the backyard in his stool.
It is becoming so frustrating. At first I thought it was just puppy behavior but he is now going on three years old and I am at a loss. He normally sleeps with me but I have considered making him sleep in his crate from now on except I cannot put any kind of blanket or padding in his crate for him to sleep in there or he will eat it. I do not know if putting him in there with just the hard crate bottom is right but I am at a loss as to what to do.
He has chew toys but even the strongest toys I can buy he winds up chewing up and trying to eat. Any suggestions? :(

·
Registered
502 Posts
I think putting him in his crate with nothing is your best option. It's not fun to give them no bedding, but sometimes the only way to get them to stop a behavior is to quit allowing them access to the bad habit. Maybe after a few months you could start reintroducing some bedding, and only allow him to have it under supervision at first. You absolutely have to catch him before he has managed to rip or eat it, or he won't learn that it's not acceptable.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think putting him in his crate with nothing is your best option. It's not fun to give them no bedding, but sometimes the only way to get them to stop a behavior is to quit allowing them access to the bad habit. Maybe after a few months you could start reintroducing some bedding, and only allow him to have it under supervision at first. You absolutely have to catch him before he has managed to rip or eat it, or he won't learn that it's not acceptable.
Thank you for your advice. I will try it. I just dont want to be cruel making him sleep in there with no cushion, but I supposed if the alternative is him eating things and possibly getting a blockage I don't really have a choice.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Put him in the crate. I had a dog that would eat anything and everything and he was 5 before he could be trusted not to eat bedding (and furniture, and walls, and doors, and carpet).

Be sure to provide him with (a) enough physical exercise, (b) enough mental exercise, and (c) lots of things to chew and reward him for chewing those things.

·
Registered
562 Posts
This is a condition called pica. I had heard that this is sometimes caused by a lack of something in a dog's nutrition, and this very detailed page at the ASPCA confirms this (though there are other possible causes including boredom). What are you feeding him? Have you taken him to the vet to talk to them about this? Does he get lots of strenuous exercise? I did catch that you do have some good toys for him, so there's that...

You could also consider conditioning him to a good quality muzzle during sleep hours, and while you figure out what the issue is causing the compulsion. That way he could sleep wherever and still have blankets. And he'd still be able to get water if he needed it.

Here's also an excellent thread about toys for dogs that are heavy-duty chewers! :)

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have tried feeding him a number of different foods for this reason. He has been on Blue Buffalo limited ingredient, Blue Wilderness, Canidae, Taste of the Wild, and a few others. Currently he is on a prescription canned food from his doctor for a recent GI problem. I did ask the vet and she seems to think this has nothing to do with the current GI problem since he has had the chewing/eating problem his whole life. We have another appointment with the vet on Friday for a followup so I can check again with her.

He does get a lot of running around time with his brothers in the backyard, we go to the dog park a lot and I take him on walks as well. He has never shown interest in mental stimulation toys/games, though we have tried it.

·
Registered
614 Posts
My female rotty is 2 years and does this as well, but she does it to get attention, she doesn't chew it though just walks around the house with it in her mouth, like its a trophy. Undies, paper, headphones, the list is endless lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts