Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my puppy has that puppy breath going on right now. So someone recommended that I get her some raw hide chews. I did, my only concern is her eating them whole. The are pretty big squares but she chews them till the get soft and shallows them. I try to watch so I can take them when they get small but she's fast and sneaky. So my questions are, is eating raw hide bad? I know it's not completely digestible but how much isn't digested. Also is there a safer alternative to this? I've been looking at those dental chews from milk bone and greenies, but I've read alot of bad about them and the ingredients are horrible. If anyone's wondering if feed her 4 health large breed grain free food.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
They're not too much worse than any other of the cheaper dental chews, but neither are they the best for dogs. Ever wonder how they get that rawhide so white? It takes a heck of a lot of bleaches and chemicals. They also tend to expand in the gut so if your puppy really chows down fast on them, she can get an intestinal blockage. Blockages require really expensive surgeries to fix.

Instead, I would recommend giving your dog bones to chew. Raw bones, smoked bones... Raw cuts from a butcher's shop are probably the most economical. These keep the dog's breath nice because they really scrape off all the plaque, which is what causes that persisting bad odor. Some alternatives to bones include antlers, hooves and horns.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
I wouldn't use rawhide. Some people are very concerned about the chemicals used to process them and the bleaching/dying process as well for some chews. Also, rawhide can actually cause an intestinal blockage. I'm a vet tech and we have removed chunks of rawhide that were blocking a dogs stomach and/or intestines. It's honestly not a very safe chew, and not one I would ever recommend.

My suggestion would be more natural chews like bully sticks, dried tracheas, and jerkies, and dehydrated sweet potato chews. Nylabones are also a great option for some dogs. They technically are not edible, but they are designed to break down into very small pieces when the dog grinds them. Smaller than a grain of rice. The small pieces are easily passed through the system if they're accidentally ingested. They are no good for a dog that chomps down on them though. And you must take them away when the piece becomes too small. I don't think hooves are necessarily a bad option, but you do have to supervise and remove if the piece becomes too small.

The best chew is often raw meaty bones. If your dog chews appropriately (grinding, not chomping), then you can get away with big weight bearing bones. They're usually called raw beef knuckle bones. Sometimes soup bones in the grocery store. Raw turkey necks are also sometimes a good option too. They're fully edible and can keep a small dog busy for a while. Beef back rib bones are another choice. Pork neckbones. Pig feet. If you're adventurous and not squeamish, you can also give entire skulls. Sometimes they cause stomach upset or diarrhea if a dog isn't used to it, so it does take time and require a bit of an introduction.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I wouldn't use rawhide. Some people are very concerned about the chemicals used to process them and the bleaching/dying process as well for some chews. Also, rawhide can actually cause an intestinal blockage. I'm a vet tech and we have removed chunks of rawhide that were blocking a dogs stomach and/or intestines. It's honestly not a very safe chew, and not one I would ever recommend.

My suggestion would be more natural chews like bully sticks, dried tracheas, and jerkies, and dehydrated sweet potato chews. Nylabones are also a great option for some dogs. They technically are not edible, but they are designed to break down into very small pieces when the dog grinds them. Smaller than a grain of rice. The small pieces are easily passed through the system if they're accidentally ingested. They are no good for a dog that chomps down on them though. And you must take them away when the piece becomes too small. I don't think hooves are necessarily a bad option, but you do have to supervise and remove if the piece becomes too small.

The best chew is often raw meaty bones. If your dog chews appropriately (grinding, not chomping), then you can get away with big weight bearing bones. They're usually called raw beef knuckle bones. Sometimes soup bones in the grocery store. Raw turkey necks are also sometimes a good option too. They're fully edible and can keep a small dog busy for a while. Beef back rib bones are another choice. Pork neckbones. Pig feet. If you're adventurous and not squeamish, you can also give entire skulls. Sometimes they cause stomach upset or diarrhea if a dog isn't used to it, so it does take time and require a bit of an introduction.
GREAT information. Thank you!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you say antlers are you referring to dear antlers? Cause I was just a pet smart and they have "antlers" for 20 dollars a piece and it's about 8in in length and cut in half...I thought that was wildly over priced as I know many hunters that will give me dear antlers. But I wasn't sure if you were meaning the same Thing

·
Registered
22 Posts
I agree with everyone else rawhides aren't the best for dogs with the chemicals and low digestibility. I would try a couple of things to see what your dog likes to chew best. I have a 6 month old puppy and to my surprise raw bones that I get from the butcher aren't her favorites she generally won't chew on them longer than a minute or two. She does like split antlers, bully sticks and pigs ears. I like bully sticks because they take her about a week to get through on six inch stick. She isn't a heavy chewer so it would depend on your dog.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts