Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

First time on and thank you it's great.
Was wondering if anyone can help me with my nephews dog. She is a 6yr old bull terrier and she has started eating her poop every time she does one - is this healthy and why would she be doing this?

Regards
Daz

·
Super Moderator
669 Posts
There are a number of reasons why dogs might do this, I'm not sure how scientifically proven they are.

One view is that there is an element of attention seeking. The dog gets the poo, you react - result. As far as the dog is concerned, at least.

There is another view that it is diet related - either there is a deficiency in your dog's diet, or the other dog's diet is rich enough to retain some nutrients that your dog can benefit from.

Or it may be that females in particular are hard-wired to clean up after puppies in the den, so eating the poo is part of that.

The first thing to do about it is to be hyper-vigilant and pick up immediately when she poos. A friend of mine swears by feeding live natural yoghurt as the probiotics help balance the gut bacteria and remove the dietary factor. It can't do any harm so has to be worth a shot. For a bull terrier I'd suggest a tablespoon per day.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are a number of reasons why dogs might do this, I'm not sure how scientifically proven they are.

One view is that there is an element of attention seeking. The dog gets the poo, you react - result. As far as the dog is concerned, at least.

There is another view that it is diet related - either there is a deficiency in your dog's diet, or the other dog's diet is rich enough to retain some nutrients that your dog can benefit from.

Or it may be that females in particular are hard-wired to clean up after puppies in the den, so eating the poo is part of that.

The first thing to do about it is to be hyper-vigilant and pick up immediately when she poos. A friend of mine swears by feeding live natural yoghurt as the probiotics help balance the gut bacteria and remove the dietary factor. It can't do any harm so has to be worth a shot. For a bull terrier I'd suggest a tablespoon per day.
Thanks will try the yoghurt for sure

1 - 3 of 3 Posts