Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 9mo old lab has a issue with trying to eat everything on the ground! Lately its mulch which there is an abundance of in our backyard. I didnt think too much of it till the other night when she threw up and there was about 5 piece of mulch in the vomit. so my question is, how bad it for her to eat mulch? and is there anyway to curb this behavior? she know "leave it" very well but i feel like thats all that will be cominh out of my mouth when we're in the yard together. thanks

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Yes that is bad. Take her to the vet tomorrow. One of my dogs once ate a lot of mulch when I was a kid and he got very sick. His stomach got bloated and badly filled with gas. I'm not sure if the kind of mulch matters or is different but you should def get he checked out.

·
Registered
917 Posts
It's not really good to eat mulch, but the amount eaten the type will matter. Some have colors added, or even chemicals. There is also coco mulch, made from the husks of the plant we get chocolate from. That is very toxic to dogs, but I'm not sure how common it is.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
It depends on the mulch, I think there are some that have certain treatments to keep away some bugs and weeds. But again it depends on the type of mulch you have. Mulch pieces are pretty big and aren't digestible (either that or just not easily digestable) so that's most likely why they got thrown up. Did he just through up the mulch pieces or was there other stuff in his through up (ie. not just liquid+ mulch pieces). I would contact your vet and ask what they think, and just keep an eye on her for any changes in behavior just in case.

As for keeping her away, is it possible to block off the mulched areas? I would also make sure that she is never left outside unsupervised. I would also maybe keep her on a leash/long lead while your working with her (if you cant block off the mulched areas). I would say in this situation it would be a combination of not letting her have a chance to get it and making she has a very good leave it/drop command. When your outside with her and she goes for the mulch redirect her with a toy along with reinforcing her leave it command with the mulch.
How much physical and mental exercise does she get? It could be that she could just be bored outside and eats mulch to entertain herself.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the mulch is nothing special, its old and just left over from a old garden its not really possible to block it off. as far as the vomit itsself, it was just the mulch and a few sticks, small about 1.5inch. It been two days and her behavior hasnt changed at all. and normally what happens is ill let both my dogs out to play in the backyard (while im sitting there) and when they get hot/tired they run the the boat for shade and the lab starts chewing on mulch. ny other dog who is a shiloh sheperd doesn't, she just lays there.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ohh and as for the "drop it", it wouldnt work as the mulch is too small to be dropped. It gets stuck to her tounge from the saliva

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I'm glad it doesn't seem to be causing any negative effects. Just keep in mind if she eats to much it can cause a blockadge.

Since you know generally when she does and the things leading up to it, you can intervene and not allow her to get to mulch. Even if its just bringing her inside to take a break or leashing her or giving her something yummy and cool to busy herself with might help. Maybe you could build something that creates a shady spot away from the mulch and teach her to go there instead to do something productive other then eating mulch.
If its something they might like and is feasible maybe invest in a kiddy pool. If its something your lab might have fun with she can entertain herself while she's getting cool.

·
Registered
256 Posts
my 9mo old lab has a issue with trying to eat everything on the ground! Lately its mulch which there is an abundance of in our backyard. I didnt think too much of it till the other night when she threw up and there was about 5 piece of mulch in the vomit. so my question is, how bad it for her to eat mulch? and is there anyway to curb this behavior? she know "leave it" very well but i feel like thats all that will be cominh out of my mouth when we're in the yard together. thanks
My 8 month old does exactly the same thing, even though she has toys (tug/chew/fetch) outside and it's always my hubby and/or me outside with her. In the beginning we didn't think much of it, and thought it's the same than chewing on a stick, but we also made the experience with the vomiting (and since it happened in her crate in the afternoon while no one was home, she got all stressed out and pooped and peed on top of that, great “welcome home” :D ). She also is fine, this happened 3 days ago.
Before this incident we already tried to redirect/leave it/drop it, but half-heartedly since we didn’t think much of it.
Since then my hubby and I both are vigilant about redirecting/giving her toys/working on leave it. It’s not easy, especially she came to see it as a game: steal a piece of mulch, when she was faster through the door than we were, and then taking off with it and wanting us to chase her.

I agree, if only bitten down once, the pieces are too small to drop (she lets me take them out of her mouth, but obviously that shouldn’t be the norm). It’s either intervene before it happens or chasing Bri through the whole backyard and hope were not too late and it is already swallowed.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
It’s either intervene before it happens or chasing Bri through the whole backyard and hope were not too late and it is already swallowed.
If you keep her on a long leash like a 15 ft one you could caller her back when she tried to eat mulch and redirect her to something else she likes. Like a toy or a yummy treat. You do not want to get into the chase game it will last a life time. On the leash you always have control to real her back into you when she makes the wrong decision.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts