Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I just adopted a new dog a couple of weeks ago. My other dog, Kheops, never drank out of the toilet, but sure enough, I heard Ursa slurping from it the other day. I usually put the cover down on the toilet but sometimes I forget. I do not use any chemicals in the toilet, so is it harmful for her if she sometimes drinks from it?

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
So long as you are not using chemicals then it's pretty safe for them to drink from. I never had a dog that drank from the toilet but did have a cat that would drink from it if I forgot to put the lid down or close the door of the bathroom.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Just don't put any chemicals in it. It's actually just like tap water, but I don't let Cosmo because it grosses me out. Also if we are ever at someone's house and they use chemicals I wouldn't want him drinking it. Comet and other common toilet cleaners have bleach in them, which can cause burn like irritation on their stomach and throat and in big enough quantities can be fatal.

If you don't want her to just close the lid / door and teach her to stay out of that room.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Its probably not harmful but it's not like drinking tap water either. There isn't a incredibly delicate way to say this but pieces of human waste can stick to the bowl and disperse in the water.

Beyond any health issues though, its not really an attractive behavior, if I were you, I'd discourage it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its probably not harmful but it's not like drinking tap water either. There isn't a incredibly delicate way to say this but pieces of human waste can stick to the bowl and disperse in the water.

Beyond any health issues though, its not really an attractive behavior, if I were you, I'd discourage it.
I see what you mean:D I'll just have to pay closer attention to keeping the bathroom door shut.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I thiiiink dogs go for the toilet because it is fresh and usually cool thanks to the porcelain pot. Unlike their water dish which is probably room temperature! Shadow loves the toilet water, we have to keep it closed at all times. :D

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
This is why I don't let dogs lick my face, and really don't like my hands being licked either...but HaHa sneaks hand licked in more often than not...lol

I've had dogs drink out of the toilet...all of them at one point or another. Also, mud puddles seems to look quite good to them too.

I doubt it will hurt them, unless as some mentioned, you use bleach tabs or something...also if using harsh cleaners, make sure you rinse the bowl out well by flushing it more than once.

And keep your lips closed if your dog tries to sniff your face...just in case. ;)

Stormy

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
@StormyPeak

THIS is the reason? Toilet water? Trust me thats the least of your problems...
"This" and of course, other reasons I could rapidly tick off, starting with the 'self cleaning' dogs do, and, uhmmm...the cat box nuggets that they seem to love....etc... ;) I have a sister who lets dogs lick her face... and I'm always like that's just YUCKY!

Stormy

Reactions: crazy

·
Registered
1,022 Posts

I was speaking of the water itself. I myself don't leave tread marks generally but hey! I wouldn't have my dog drinking out of your bowl either ;)

Just kidding, you make a valid point!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts