Dog Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe the nonsense going on in the dorm this semester. It's beyond ridiculous.

First of all, there is a new dog in the dorm. Some terrier/poodle mix I'm assuming. I've only seen him through glimpses out of his prison (window). The owner does not take him anywhere. He's in the dorm 24/7 while she goes out to the other dorm building and hangs with friends. Meanwhile, the entire time she's gone the dog barks constantly. Nonstop. I don't mind dogs barking during the day but when it's midnight and people are trying to sleep...:mad: Then we have all tried to to talk to her, I told her the possibility that her dog has separation anxiety and there is no problem with having her friends over so she can be around the dog. Completely ignored. Now a smell is coming from her room from her dog using the bathroom in her room because she won't take him out. Our RA has written her up but it has done nothing. WHAT WAS THE POINT OF GETTING THE DOG?

And now I get an email this morning saying that the whole dorm is being written up because some dog pooped outside of the RA's door and left it. I mean REALLY? I emailed her back and told her I wasn't there yesterday or today as we spend the weekends at my bf's apartment. But I am livid at this point. When the whole dorm is written up and nothing happens we a have to pay a fine...and I refuse to pay a fine for someone else being completely disgusting.

Our dorm wasn't anything like this last year. It was clean and quiet. Everyone got along....ugh.:eyeroll:

·
Registered
391 Posts
That really sucks. I don't get why some people feel the need to get dogs and not take care of them. They aren't nice little decorations that need a dusting once in a while. They need to be cared for.

Poor little dog. I'm scared to think about what her dorm room looks like. Even worse that people fail to clean up their dogs business.

Hopefully you don't end up having to pay a fine, and the girl learns to take care of her room and dog.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
That's horrible. :( It's why so many places aren't dog friendly, because one moron f's it up for everyone else.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7,682 Posts
So worried for the dog, is the dog even eating and have enough water? What would happen if you called animal control to check on the dog? Could you offer to take the dog out with yours...or would that not be a good idea...I think the RA needs to check this room on a daily basis as this is a health hazard.

REALLY WORRIED ABOUT THIS POOR DOG.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I would definitely have a talk with that girl about her dog. If you could prove that it was her that got the whole dorm written up I'd say ask her to kindly pay the fine. But obviously you can't prove that.
Someone definitely needs to have a talk with her though. I'd threaten to break into her room while she's gone and let the dog out myself. Or threaten to call Animal Control.

None of the RAs have confronted her? That just stinks that this girl is ruining it for your entire dorm!

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know what they are doing about it. They have to follow protocol with a warning, and then a fine. It's amazing how they have let her get away with all this, this long. Last year, our old RA got someone in huge trouble because she didn't have the properly lighting set up for the lizard. The dog isn't mean from the couple of times I've seen it in the last couple of months. It just wants love. The whole dorm has put in a complaint and we have a dorm meeting tomorrow night so we'll see how that goes.

As for the hygiene of the room, I can't imagine the situation of that room. The girl herself is unhygienic so I can't even picture what its like right now.

I have tried to talk to her about making the dog a frozen kong while she's gone because I do it for my friend's dog and Guinness while we are out. But she just refuses any help...I'll see what happens tomorrow.

·
Registered
7,682 Posts
I just thought of something else! Don't you have "floor" meetings??? I would bring it up at the floor meeting and call a special one if the regular one is too far away....excessive barking, feces smell, care of dog, etc. Also start STUFFING your dorm floor suggestion box or slip notes under the RA's door on a daily basis...from everyone!!!

Oh how funny, simultaneous posting and you ARE having a floor meeting!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
That's good, i'm glad others are on board as well! She can't just decide she doesn't want to do anything for her dog, especially when she lives in a dorm. It's so unfair to not only that poor, poor dog but to the rest of you; you guys have the privilege of having more than a goldfish, let alone dogs lol, and she's going to risk it for you all? Screw that. It's about the welfare of the dog at this point.

She is lucky this dog is not developing severe (life interrupting) behavioral issues. Although I guess that may be going on now, especially if you can even hear her barking alone in the middle of the night.

I hope all goes well tomorrow! Crossing my fingers for you that something is done or something gets through to this less-than-hygienic girl.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Hopefully they can resolve the issue without having to go to a no pets allowed in the dorm policy. I'm surprised a dorm allows pets, no offense toward you but not all college students are responsible enough to care for a pet.
I know from my personal college/dorm experience that there were some people in the dorm who could not even be responsible for themselves, much less a pet. All the dorms at the college I attended had a no pet policy, you are very fortunate.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am very grateful for the opportunity to have our pets with us. Luckily, the college has some sort of a set up so that not all people can just go out get a dog and live there. You need to have a vet reference, and two other references. And you have to pay 200 dollars extra to live in the dorms. And there are only two pet friendly dorms. Plus, the apartments and houses on campus. Our big dorms are only allowed to have 10 gallon aquariums at max.

I'm definitely going to mention the PooPrints

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I don't know what they are doing about it. They have to follow protocol with a warning, and then a fine. It's amazing how they have let her get away with all this, this long. Last year, our old RA got someone in huge trouble because she didn't have the properly lighting set up for the lizard.
Well many lizards can't digest unless they have the correct temperature and UV light, food can rotten in their stomach and they can starve even if they are being fed. So not having proper lighting for reptiles is serious neglect.

I can't imagine the people at m university having pets, they are loud always drinking and when I have my window open I can very often smell Marijuana. This one time there was a guy in my kitchen smoking a joint. I don't agree with sending everyone with a joint in prison but I don't want it in my kitchen. He doesn't even go to this university he was a guest!

There is always one who ruins everything isn't there, but you should perhaps consider judging by her neglect of her self that she just might be a bit overwhelmed. I don't know anything about her so Im not going to make a direct accusation however lack of personal hygiene and losing control of some aspects of your life like pet care can be in some situations the first signs of depression.

Maybe she just needs a friend.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Yeah, let us know how it all goes :) That's pretty awful. Who doesn't even walk their dog. Also, if she used pee/poop pads where is she putting them? Hopefully not in your kitchen garbage's or anything... it's hard to confront other pet owners sometimes, but this is not a situation where people should hold back.

Good luck Kat!

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, tonight went...okay I guess. Our RA told us the whole dorm is being written up (even people who don't have pets) because they can't determine who's dog it was. It can lead to a fine..a 500 DOLLAR FINE! That's if the dean decides to take action with it. Then they talked about how people aren't picking up after their dogs and how people need to make sure their dogs aren't barking into the late hours of the night.

Personally, I think it could have been handled a lot better than it was. But fighting it would only make it worse.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I am very grateful for the opportunity to have our pets with us. Luckily, the college has some sort of a set up so that not all people can just go out get a dog and live there. You need to have a vet reference, and two other references. And you have to pay 200 dollars extra to live in the dorms. And there are only two pet friendly dorms. Plus, the apartments and houses on campus. Our big dorms are only allowed to have 10 gallon aquariums at max.

I'm definitely going to mention the PooPrints
I hope they look into the pooprints. It's not expensive to get the DNA on file, it's a fee the college can ask the pet owners to pay as part of being able to have a pet and it accurately identifies the owner who didn't clean up after their pet so that everyone doesn't get punished for one persons laziness.

·
Registered
7,682 Posts
I think that's a great idea if the college will endorse it. Of course someone will say "it is an invasion of privacy" or something like that and the ball will start rolling! What is going to happen to that poodle mix???

I know some people use a bark off signal/device to stop barking...but I don't know if that is a sound remedy or not as I am not a vet. I do know that dogs stop barking when they hear it though....maybe someone else can address the use of bark off devices....????

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well the owner of the dog didn't even show up to the meeting so I have no idea what's gonna happen to the dog or her. But I know the school won't tolerate it anymore since she's got a warning, she will more than likely be facing a fine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts