Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently in the process of building a dog room, at the end of this space where I plan to build is a door which leads to a fenced run, because I foster pregnant dogs I would like to put a doggy door in the people door, and while I won't be letting the dog out unless I'm there to watch her while she's still pregnant, after the dog gives birth to her pups I know from experience that the dog will need out in the middle of the night. I have been looking around at the available pet doors, but most seem to not insulate well and that is something that stops me from buying those doors. Ideally, I would love to find a hard flap door, but the ones I have looked at aren't big enough.. I was wondering if anyone would have recommendations for pet doors that they like or ideas on how to insulate a dog door better?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Freedom Pet Pass

If energy efficiency is your main concern, you can't beat Freedom Pet Pass (for full disclosure, I work for the company).

The pet door industry is full of "greenwashing". Everyone claims that their doggie doors are energy-efficient, so it can be confusing to figure out which doors are actually good and which ones just advertise that they are good.

Freedom Pet Pass doors are the only dog doors evaluated by a certified architectural testing laboratory against the same criteria used to certify windows and human doors for Energy Star ratings. The dog door actually has an air leakage rate 15X lower than an Energy Star human door is required to have. It's U-factor (measurement of insulation value, it's what windows and doors use instead of R-factor) shows that the biggest Freedom Pet Pass door loses up to 5X less heat than an Energy Star human door.

The Freedom Pet Pass door is the first and only door to meet the requirements of California's Title 24 Building Energy Efficiency regulations. This means that they are the only doors found to be energy-efficient enough to be allowed in new residential construction in the state.

My main piece of advice is to do your research. Don't be fooled by unsubstantiated claims. Take your time and find the right fit for you and your dogs.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me directly.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Dawnben, I will look into those!

If energy efficiency is your main concern, you can't beat Freedom Pet Pass (for full disclosure, I work for the company).

The pet door industry is full of "greenwashing". Everyone claims that their doggie doors are energy-efficient, so it can be confusing to figure out which doors are actually good and which ones just advertise that they are good.

Freedom Pet Pass doors are the only dog doors evaluated by a certified architectural testing laboratory against the same criteria used to certify windows and human doors for Energy Star ratings. The dog door actually has an air leakage rate 15X lower than an Energy Star human door is required to have. It's U-factor (measurement of insulation value, it's what windows and doors use instead of R-factor) shows that the biggest Freedom Pet Pass door loses up to 5X less heat than an Energy Star human door.

The Freedom Pet Pass door is the first and only door to meet the requirements of California's Title 24 Building Energy Efficiency regulations. This means that they are the only doors found to be energy-efficient enough to be allowed in new residential construction in the state.

My main piece of advice is to do your research. Don't be fooled by unsubstantiated claims. Take your time and find the right fit for you and your dogs.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me directly.
Thank you, DonaldLove. Energy efficiency, quality, and size are my main concerns when looking for a door. I am doing plenty of research for sure, no worries there! I will look into these doors, thank you very much for the suggestion and I will let you know if I have anymore questions.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
If energy efficiency is your main concern, you can't beat Freedom Pet Pass (for full disclosure, I work for the company).....
Looks like a quality product. But you should mention to the web designers that there is another disadvantage to having a door mount doggy door, and that is it pretty much kills the idea of having a screen door. I have a door mounted one and I really miss not being able to open my door to let in fresh air and keep the cat in and the flies out. :p

Stormy

Reactions: TruckersMom

·
Registered
880 Posts
I want to get a dog dog desperately, as Trucker can now open the screen dog for himself but leaves it hanging wide open for the cat to escape through. But I would like to find one that my cat can't just follow my dog out of (micochipped).

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts