Dog Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Hubby and I have been checking out dogs for the past month to adopt. We had two dogs in the past; one a Rat Terrier (19 yrs) and a Sheltie/GShep mix (15 years) that passed two years ago.

We now live in a 55+ building that allows dogs up to 30 lbs.

We used to volunteer at Chicago's animal shelter in the past; our last dog came from there (lots of cages and available dogs to look at at one time). We made our choice pretty quick.

Here in Madison, WI, dogs are being shipped from North Carolina (via bus) every week. Some have had a foster so there is some information.

The larger dogs are the majority here wherever you go to view them.

We are considering a Jack Russell mix that is very laid back; she sits in her cage and doesn't get worked up about what is going on around her. She can be picked up and handled; likes treats (begs for those). We found out by walking her in front of the Petsmart store that she doesn't like to walk on leash (just sits). If you hold out a treat, she moves for it as long as you can hold the treat out in front of her.

Our last dog we found out had a phobia about thunder that we worked on and got better.

This problem I'm not sure how to work it out so she can feel better about the leash.

One of the fosters brought her out to our apartment and she felt comfortable enough to walk around (her tail wagging) and actually jumped up on the couch and sat next to me and then rolled over and went belly up while we were talking.

We have to get back to the foster mom on Monday to let her know if we'd like to adopt the dog.

Oh, and another possible challenge; we are in an elevator building on the third floor and there is a long hallway to get to the front of the building to get out. We are used to training dogs to go potty in buildings with stairs and shorter distances to get out.

The foster mom said that this dog didn't soil in her cage at the shelter.

Any suggestions on how to get her outside (carry at first?) and then hopefully get her to wait to do her business outside once we traverse the elevator and front entrance.

Thanks for any and all suggestions! :)

·
Registered
433 Posts
I would let her wear the leash around the house just so she gets used to it being on her and the weight of it. Don't try to hold it or lead her around on it, just have her hang out all the time with it on.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Keep using the treats and give her little pieces as she is enduring the leash. And yeah, pick her up and carry her until you get outside to the potty spot in the beginning, she will most likely get the idea and not pee while you are holding her. Sounds like she was a backyard dog in her former life and didn't need to walk on a leash to do her business, but you can get her to do it. Sounds like she is house trained which is great. It might take a while to get to go once she is outside, but that will get better I bet.

Good luck, she sounds like a cutie.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts