Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog Berry has just got past the 2 year mark. It wasn't that long ago I was wondering if she would ever settle down! But now over the last 4 or so months she's really calmed down.

I'm just wondering if it's normal for some dogs to lose a lot of their play-drive as they exit adolescence? Berry has never been the type of dog to self-entertain with toys, toys have always needed a human attached to be fun but over the last few months she doesn't want to play for very long at all, 5-10 minutes of tug or fetch and she's either asking for rubs instead or jumps on the sofa and waits for me to sit down so she can sit in my lap!

She's also less interested in other dogs too, she use to love playing with other dogs but now she mostly just politely says hello and then continues walking/ investigating whatever she was doing before the other dog approached. She recently had a vet check and was fine. She eats, drinks, potty's all normally, she is not overweight. She also still gets excited for walks and keeps running around till the end of our walks. She's not exhausted when she stops playing, she's not panting more than usual or anything, she just kind of decides she's had enough and wants a cuddle instead.

Berry has 3 walks a day for a total of 2 hours, we do maybe 5-10 minutes training total a day in several small sessions and she gets food puzzles/ toys but the rest of the day she is resting, not asleep for all of it but happily resting by my feet or if possible on my lap getting cuddles. It seems a little odd to me for a dog to not want to play much and just rest for 21hours a day. Is it just that she is getting enough exercise from our walks that she happy to just have company the rest of the time?

I've tried to be more exciting, less exciting, different games, different toys but it doesn't matter, she's just not that into playing anymore, she'd rather have a cuddle. Is it normal for some dogs to just not care too much about playing after puppyhood/ adolescence?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Both of my dogs were like that after round 3 years.
it is normal for certain breeds that they're more serious when they're adult. especially the working breeds can be like that. they're not bred for playing after all. No reason to worry. :)
some can be coaxed to play with certain toys or persons though. :)

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Totally normal! As dogs grow up I think they settle nicely into their personalities, and between 2 and 3 I really feel you get a sense for who your dog is. It sounds like she's a very happy, healthy dog. :)

Levi used to be totally crazy around other dogs, but at just over a year, I'm already watching that fade, and he's more interested in me and toys. I can't wait until he shows the same level of disinterest as your dog on walks! Heidi doesn't care about other dogs at all, she's all about fetch.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I noticed a recent uptick in maturity from my dog and for a moment, I wondered what that was about, and then I remembered he'd just turned three. For my dogs, that's always been the point at which they settled into themselves more, but it wouldn't surprise me if a dog took a little longer or a little less long to hit that point. As long as your vet keeps your dog a clean bill of health and you haven't noticed any significant change in eating etc., I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I'm not worried about Berry in that I think she's ill, I guess I'm just use to more active, maybe slightly fetch obsessed dogs that will play fetch until you stop and then be shoving a toy in your lap when you do stop :)

I do think she's happy, she gets enough exercise and mental stuff for her and I guess that's why she's content to lie around and just have my company the rest of the time.

@Shandula it is nice that I don't have to recall her away from every dog we see until I've seen if they are friendly or not, she will still play a little with known friends but doesn't try to rush up to every dog she sees assuming they are friendly and want to play!

I guess I'm a little sad that her endless goofy puppy energy is gone but I'm also happy I don't have to keep redirecting her from playing with the curtains etc anymore and just enjoy our snuggles

·
Registered
66 Posts
My dog Berry has just got past the 2 year mark. It wasn't that long ago I was wondering if she would ever settle down! But now over the last 4 or so months she's really calmed down.

I'm just wondering if it's normal for some dogs to lose a lot of their play-drive as they exit adolescence? Berry has never been the type of dog to self-entertain with toys, toys have always needed a human attached to be fun but over the last few months she doesn't want to play for very long at all, 5-10 minutes of tug or fetch and she's either asking for rubs instead or jumps on the sofa and waits for me to sit down so she can sit in my lap!

She's also less interested in other dogs too, she use to love playing with other dogs but now she mostly just politely says hello and then continues walking/ investigating whatever she was doing before the other dog approached. She recently had a vet check and was fine. She eats, drinks, potty's all normally, she is not overweight. She also still gets excited for walks and keeps running around till the end of our walks. She's not exhausted when she stops playing, she's not panting more than usual or anything, she just kind of decides she's had enough and wants a cuddle instead.

Berry has 3 walks a day for a total of 2 hours, we do maybe 5-10 minutes training total a day in several small sessions and she gets food puzzles/ toys but the rest of the day she is resting, not asleep for all of it but happily resting by my feet or if possible on my lap getting cuddles. It seems a little odd to me for a dog to not want to play much and just rest for 21hours a day. Is it just that she is getting enough exercise from our walks that she happy to just have company the rest of the time?

I've tried to be more exciting, less exciting, different games, different toys but it doesn't matter, she's just not that into playing anymore, she'd rather have a cuddle. Is it normal for some dogs to just not care too much about playing after puppyhood/ adolescence?
Yep that's normal and I can't wait for that stage lololol My last two dogs just loved getting their walks and food. They would greet other dogs but get over it in a few seconds unlike my almost one year old lab who still does the superwoman a the end of her leash to greet all living things.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts