Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so we have an intelligent 10 month old border collie x australian cattle dog named Bailor. We give him tons of exercise, not too much since his growing bones and all, but there's a problem.
We have a two story house, the top floor (he ain't allowed) is where we sleep, eat, etc, and then downstairs is basically the garage with cars, laundry room and etc.
There's a ton of interactive toys there with his bones and a comfortable dog bed, and Bailor does luckily not have Separation Anxiety. During the day and night, he will comfortably go in and out without problem. Now, when it's bedtime, he refuses to go inside and instead goes into a submission position till I eventually give up (which i guess is rewarding the dog to not go inside). The reason we can't keep him up and about is my guardians are worried he'll run off and the gate needs opening when my dad comes home from work around 3am in the morning, and he's grumpy when he has to get out of the car twice because of the gate.
Positive reinforcement just doesn't convince Bailor, and we're hanging onto the last thread of hope which is the internet.. My parents have too much pride to ask for help, so I guess its up to me to ask around. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Okay, so we have an intelligent 10 month old border collie x australian cattle dog named Bailor. We give him tons of exercise, not too much since his growing bones and all, but there's a problem.
We have a two story house, the top floor (he ain't allowed) is where we sleep, eat, etc, and then downstairs is basically the garage with cars, laundry room and etc.
There's a ton of interactive toys there with his bones and a comfortable dog bed, and Bailor does luckily not have Separation Anxiety. During the day and night, he will comfortably go in and out without problem. Now, when it's bedtime, he refuses to go inside and instead goes into a submission position till I eventually give up (which i guess is rewarding the dog to not go inside). The reason we can't keep him up and about is my guardians are worried he'll run off and the gate needs opening when my dad comes home from work around 3am in the morning, and he's grumpy when he has to get out of the car twice because of the gate.
Positive reinforcement just doesn't convince Bailor, and we're hanging onto the last thread of hope which is the internet.. My parents have too much pride to ask for help, so I guess its up to me to ask around. Any suggestions?
Hello! Welcome to the DF! I just have a couple of questions.

What kind of exercise are you giving him? A ton of exercise just makes a dog that always requires a ton of exercise. What kind of training do you do daily? When you say a "submissive position" do you mean laying down on his side/back to show his belly?

If I had to guess, I would probably say that he knows that bedtime means he's going to be alone for hours, and he's not super interested in that. You have a mix of two dogs whose sole purpose was to work with their people moving stock.

Reactions: Cynna and Aspen726

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
Hello and welcome!

I agree with @Shandula

Our dogs want to be with us. Just because it's our bedtime doesn't mean he falls right to sleep, especially if he's alone. He might sit down there for quite sometime feeling a little lonely.

Is it possible to close him in your bedroom so your dad doesn't have to deal with him when he gets home at 3am?

·
Registered
254 Posts
While I completely understand a dog not sleeping in a bed, and somewhat understand the dog not sleeping in your room, I really can't see why one would bother having a dog that isn't allowed in the primary living space at all, rather is relegated to the basement/garage. Dogs are pack animals and sleeping away from the pack is rough.

If you have to keep the dog downstairs, then he should be crated. You may have to find a behavior trainer to help with this. But really, the poor thing just dosn't want to be alone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello! Welcome to the DF! I just have a couple of questions.

What kind of exercise are you giving him? A ton of exercise just makes a dog that always requires a ton of exercise. What kind of training do you do daily? When you say a "submissive position" do you mean laying down on his side/back to show his belly?

If I had to guess, I would probably say that he knows that bedtime means he's going to be alone for hours, and he's not super interested in that. You have a mix of two dogs whose sole purpose was to work with their people moving stock.
Thank you :3

Usually, just fetch. But since I play tennis and need to practice, he usually fetches my balls instead of me having to go all the way across the court. We also go to the beach on Sundays where he can tire himself out by swimming (he doesn't drink saltwater). Daily training (I assume you mean obedience), I do distance sits, come, high five, down and back up. And by submissive position, Bailor does indeed lie on his side/back to show his belly.
And that's honestly the problem. I'm thinking of putting like a CD or something down there with him (We have speakers downstairs) to somewhat relax him.
@Aspen726 - thank you :3
Bailor is not allowed inside the house unless there's severe weather.
@seashoreduck -
I honestly agree with you, but my parents are hard-minded people, especially my dad. I doubt getting crate training in their head is of any use because they'll just complain the bed is too expensive ($100) and 'crating won't work'. I think it's a good idea actually.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I would increase his daily training sessions to include things like much more complicated tricks. What kind of interactive toys does he have?

You mentioned he is not allowed in the house unless there is severe weather, do you mean upstairs with you, or just in the basement? Sorry, I'm a little confused on the actual set-up of your house.

You said positive reinforcement doesn't work with him, are you just referring to getting him to come inside at the end of the night? What kind of training style do you use?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.