Dog Forum banner

Dog doesn't like me any more

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Barkes 
#1 ·
The dog that I reared and lived with for nearly 2 years and unfortunately had to have adopted due to losing my job and eviction now whenever he sees me in the street barks at me and won't let me pet him. Is he angry with me for giving him away? I would still like to be friends with him as he lives nearby and actually I miss him although I'm glad he's happy with his new owners.

This post has been deleted
#4 ·
Thank you for understanding. My dog is not excited to see me, just the opposite. He growls and barks and backs away from me. He's clearly angry with me and wants me to go away. This is very upsetting since we had such a close relationship. I can only assume that when I gave him to his new owners, he waited for me to come back for him and, when I didn't, he never forgave me.

#5 ·
Who's to say what dogs can feel or think or what their associations may lead them to do. We don't really understand dogs and how they operate as well as we think we do sometimes. It doesn't seem likely he'd hold it against you, but who knows for sure?

It could also be that he has settled well into his new home and is very happy there, and is fearful that you have come to take him away from it.

#7 ·
You know when I was training with the platform Dog doesn't like me any more. We were told that many animals, and especially those attached to people, like dogs, can hold a grudge against you. You have probably noticed that when you yell at your dog because of some prank he has done, he walks away from you with an offended look. They very subtly feel the intonation of the person with which you say something to your dog. So try not to upset them, because they love you so much!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.