Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 15lb mixed dod has tried Nutro, Blue Buffalo and now SD light. He likes the SD light sometimes and will eat it..but I've never seen a dog be so meh about a food before. Most the time he puts his nose up at it. Plus it's light, and he really doesn't need light anymore. We bought him regular SD and mix it, but he spits it out!

He's had some pancreatic issues when we got him, so I'm worried about him eating well. He just wants to eat scraps and trash outside.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Sounds like he's got you trained fairly well! He says "meh" and you respond with changing his food. I know you're concerned with him eating, but rest assured, no animal will starve themselves.
You'll need to pick a food, and put it down for 15 minutes. If he doesn't eat it at the end of 15 minutes, pick it up and give it at the next meal time. He'll eat, don't stress. :)

Reactions: Rain

·
Registered
917 Posts
I'd find a high quality food and do as Shandula said. Also no table scraps or treats. The foods you've tried are all low quality or questionable.

Reactions: KerriAnn

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I don't know what high quality would be.

Go to Dogfoodadvisor.com and choose a 4 or 5 star rated food........
A good quality food does not have 'by products' or unnamed protein sources. Do some research on dog nutrition .......it can make a world of difference to your dog's health!

Reactions: annageckos

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Sounds like he's got you trained fairly well! He says "meh" and you respond with changing his food. I know you're concerned with him eating, but rest assured, no animal will starve themselves.
You'll need to pick a food, and put it down for 15 minutes. If he doesn't eat it at the end of 15 minutes, pick it up and give it at the next meal time. He'll eat, don't stress. :)
Do this only after you have a clean bill of health from the vets. Once any health issues are ruled out then you just have a picky puppy. Easiest fix for that is what @Shandula mentions above. Also a protip-try using a topper of wet food. For a small dog just a spoonful of wet mixed in with the dry will sometimes do the trick. Let us know hwo it goes!

·
Registered
200 Posts
It could be that one or more of the ingredients in these foods do not work well with your dogs stomach and so they may be hesitant to eat it. That is what happened with my dog when I was feeding her Blue Buffalo and Hills (two low quality foods with lots of allergens). I recently switched her to Natural Balance Limited Ingredients Lamb and Brown Rice and what a difference that it has made. She enjoys eating it, has a lot more energy, is going to the bathroom much better and is overall a happier dog. :)

So perhaps the ingredients/quality of food is just not working for your dog. I would do as suggested by others and look into getting your pup a better quality food. You can research foods on the internet-there is a lot of good info on there about good quality food. I would definitely go grain free, corn and soy free!

Thanks,
Kerri

1 - 7 of 7 Posts