Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got Luna on June, 20 last year (2015). Me and my friend (who at the time did not have a dog) took her on walks everyday, and she LOVED them. She was happy to go on walks with my friend (who still didn't have a dog) also when I left for 10 days (the last few days she protested the tiny bit to go to my house).
Then on the 20th of june this year my friend got a dog too. Since then wee have ben walking together, but now my friend went on vacasion somewhere else, and Luna has started protesting on walks. I cant get her to come. Shure she is small and I could pull her along, but if you ask mee that's not the point of walks. It helps a little bit if I take my neighbor's dog Lija (who is not very playful) along...but i can't go ringing the bell at 5.30 am (I like to get out when it's still cool).... Does anyone have any idea what I could do, to get her out on a walk?? (she still loves walks when Issa (my friend's dog) is there...) Thank you for the answeres in advance! :)

This is what she does all day now...:(

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think I would have her checked out by the vet, just to make sure there are no physical issues that have popped up that you haven't noticed. Then you might try coaxing her into a walk by taking along some of her favorite treats and dropping them randomly as you walk. Could she be afraid of something in the neighborhood? Any new construction, new dogs etc. We had a dog once that would freak out if anything on our property changed. One day my FIL had parked the tractor in our front yard (we live in the country and he'd been grading the road) and Sheena refused to come out of the house. She usually loved to be out in the front yard with us and she just flat out would not move out the front door. When FIL moved tractor, she was back to normal.

·
Registered
84 Posts
2.5 months old? Wow, I'm really impressed she has been that ready to walk in the past. At this point I wouldn't stress out too much about it. Just make sure there's something in the walks for her (beyond training her). Do you stop to smell stuff? Do you treat her along the way when she's walking well with you?

I just adopted a lab mix puppy, and at first, I could tell walks were going to be an issue. She shrank away when I brought out the leash. Gradually, though, she's gotten into it (we're still working it!), and just yesterday, started doing the spin and jump when I brought out the leash, super glad we were going to head out. When I can work it into the schedule, I like to go for a walk before I feed her. She loves to eat, so that way she associates the walk with one of her favorite activities as the payoff!

·
Registered
37 Posts
When Tank was about that age, he did great on the leash. He was a little apprehensive about cars and loud noises, but he did okay if we stuck to quiet roads. Then he went to stay with my mother in law for a few months, because we were in the process of buying a house and didn't feel the need to pay pet rent on an apartment we were only gonna have for 3 or so months. She has a big fenced in back yard... so she doesn't really both with the leash. So he regressed on that training. He's been on one walk since he came back to us and he pulled and tugged for about half the time. Half way through, he chilled out and walked normally. Nintendo does great on the leash, because since he's little still... I go out with him and use the leash. Tank goes on a lead. Our back yard isn't fenced in yet, but will be after the new year. But yeah.... Nintendo walks loose leashed most of the time unless he's sniffing out the perfect spot to poop. lol

Regardless, I wouldn't sweat it. Maybe she's just a little depressed that her walking buddy isn't around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts