Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here, and feeling relatively desperate.

I adopted a 9 month old mix breed 3 months ago. She had been living in a kennel at the 'rescue' from a young age, and is exceptionally sensitive and nervous. She still doesn't let 99.9% of people near her, despite the fact that she comes to work with me every day and is therefore exposed to the same friendly bunch of people day after day.

I'm generally quite a patient person, and am happy to just give the 'neutral' response to unwanted behaviour, while praising when behaviour is good. But the one thing I cannot cope with is that she pees and poops on my bed under certain circumstances. In the beginning I think she had trouble adjusting to her new home and routine, and now, because I have recently moved. She doesn't want to go out by herself, and when I go out with her, she doesn't respond to the 'go pee' command which she knows.

I have caught her in the process every time, and I will confess, this makes me shout at her. It freaks me out more than anything I can imagine, and to be honest, makes me almost have a breakdown.

Everytime I shout though, it sets her back to square one, and she cowers for the rest of the day and sometimes longer.

She hasnt done it in months, and then last night soaked though my duvet and into the mattress. I know I react badly to this behaviour and really need help, but I don't know how to stop her from doing this and taking her business outside even in times of stress!

Help!

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
The reason I think that this happens (definitely heard of it before!) is that dogs find their owner's beds very comforting. It is covered in your smell. So when she is in a stressful situation, say, she needs to go to the bathroom but is unsure of where to go, she might want to retreat to a very safe, comforting place to think about it and hope the big dilemma just goes away. Well, a full bladder rarely does and so when she's been hiding on your bed for long enough... OOPS, out it comes!

First off, I would give your mattress and bedding a good soaking down with enzymatic cleaner (like Nature's Miracle) to destroy any lingering urine crystals. Regular cleaners don't destroy urea, and where dogs smell their urine they will pee.

Second, block access to your room when you are not around. Make it a habit.

Third, train her to ask to go outside: https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-behavior/teaching-your-house-trained-dog-ask-go-out

That way she can let you know in some concrete way, "I have to go potty... Now!"

·
Super Moderator
3,746 Posts
Welcome to the Dog Forum!

Kelly has already given you excellent advice. You also want to carefully follow the advice in this thread:

http://www.dogforum.com/housetraining/house-training-how-tos-2135/

I'd also like to address your dog's fear. I know it's very easy to feel frustrated when your dog soaks your bedding, but you're absolutely right that your reaction to it is exacerbating her fear. There's a lot of great advice in this thread that I think will pertain to your situation.

http://www.dogforum.com/dog-training-behavior/i-hit-my-puppy-now-she-241561/

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts