Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
For the first time this evening, our 7 month old French Bulldog decided to make a dash for it out of the property gates and down the road outside our house when he was let out to use the bathroom.
When we have taken him out for walks it is usually on a leash but, when he's off it, he walks right next to us so we haven't had much need to get him to return when his name is called when we are open spaces. This was evident by his continuing to run down the road when we were trying to get him to come back this evening.
Does anyone have a good training method we can use to fix this so that, if he does decide to try a Steve McQueen impression in the future, we have more chance of getting him to stop quickly and come back to us?
Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
813 Posts
He is probably testing the boundaries as at 7 monhts is he in his adolescent stage. So on leash or long line so he doesn't get to practice selective deafness, ramp up any training - physical and mental to tire him out and make him realise that not obeying is not an option.

There are dog training stickies on this website, there are recall training videos on youtube. Kikopup is one of the best (if not THE BEST) trainer, but there are others, equally compentent, positive reinforcement trainers such as tab289, zak george and many more.

If you want a dog that comes back when called, this is the time when you need to put in a lot of work. Don't be put off by setbacks, they happen to us all in all areas of live not just dog training.

So a positve frame of mind, lots o treats/toys at the ready to start traning the positive reinforcement way and good luck.

·
Registered
917 Posts
As far as trainers, there is no 'the best'. Some methods work better for some dogs then others. That said I'm working hard with my dane right now with recall. She is doing great so far, but we haven't had many distractions. What I've done is get super yummy treats she only gets when recall training. In our case it's cooked meats. Salmon, steak, chicken hearts and chicken so far. I attach a long line to her and let her walk around and sniff. I call her back and click and treat when she does, making it a big deal. I don't use the clicker for all training, but I highly recommend it for recall. I'm now letting her run in the yard(not fenced) with the long line on her, chasing toys and playing fetch. For you I'd start out slow. Work with it inside, when your dog is close by call him to you and click and treat when he comes. An important thing is to not call him multiple times if he doesn't come right away, and stick to one word. You don't want to confuse him. Then you call when he is farther and farther away. Moving onto when he is occupied with something. Make yourself interesting and fun. Take it slow and try to always end on a good note. If Freyja starts loosing interest or I see one of the neighbors out I'll end the session on a high note and then go inside. Also some dogs are just more reliable than others.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts