Dog Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had their dog DNA tested?
When it first came out it was ridiculously expensive and now you can buy kits for 60$. We're thinking of getting a kit-I think it would be neat to know-anyone done this? Share your experiences!!

If you haven't heard of this there are tons of sites who do this, and it's an easy cheek swab that you send in :)
For example

Dog DNA Test Doggie DNA Testing and Mixed Breed Canine DNA Testing For Dogs - Dog-DNA.com

http://mojopet.com/shop/product_info.php/products_id/488?gclid=CMvu4N-E0ZwCFRZeagod7VmPmw

Canine DNA Testing Services | Dog DNA Test

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GASP!! Horror stories like finding a breed you had no idea was in there?

(LOVE your quote about Pavlov btw-too funny!)

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
haha thanks

No like people would submit purebred dogs and get back breeds that weren't even close...or 100lb mixed breeds would come back as maltese

If you are decent with genetics there is a genetics sticky in the breeds forum that might help. Also If you post side views of your dog everyone here is really good at breed guesses...honestly your dog looks like a heeler mix to me. :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what we're thinking-he's a Cardigan corgi mix and everyone says it must be heeler. I've been looking and I think that must be true. I should post my parent's dog-we've never been able to figure out her mix. We call her husky mix but the tail is curly-so?

Actually-my mom suggested that-taking a swab of our own mouth or one of my rabbit's and seeing what they sent us back -hmmmm

·
Registered
228 Posts
I would like to give some advice on Doggie DNA tests. The first thing you want to do is try and list any breeds that you feel might be in your dog. Write them down. Take some time on this. Why? Not all breeds are tested in the tests. If you think the dog has one or 2 different breeds in them, or more, and some are not listed in the Tested Breeds for the particular test, you could come up with some funky results. Do your research before putting up the cash.

Second, blood tests are better than cheek swabs. There's too much that could go wrong with the cheek swabs. And if you've done some research, which I have done on the tests, there's not enough DNA on a cheek swab to do the actual test. What they do is take what DNA is on it and replicate it til they have enough material to test. With the blood sample, they have plenty of material, so no replication is needed. I don't know exactly what they call it, but I just call it replication because they are creating more material than the original sample.

I have done a Doggie DNA test with my first dog, Betty, an Australian Cattle Dog. The results? Primary Breed was Australian Cattle Dog. She also had a trace of Newfundland. But from what some people that work in vets have told me, Newfy is one of the breeds that shows up in a lot of purebreed tests. There's just something in purebreed DNA tests that triggers Newfy. And I was told that they were 100% certain Betty was pure ACD. And looking at all the attributes in the Newfy, Betty had none. Not even in personality. All her attributes screamed ACD.

Here's the test I did. They have the largest Tested Breeds list, and IMO is the best test out there, and the blood sample has to be taken by a vet.

Dog DNA Test | Mixed Breed Analysis | Canine Breed Testing

Betty's results....

Wisdom Panel Breed Profile

·
Registered
228 Posts
Oh, and I also want to point out, Wisdom Panel so far is the only test that identifies Australian Cattle Dogs. None of the cheek swab tests do yet. So if you are wanting to test the dog that's in your avatar, then it's the only test that will work for you because I see lots of ACD. Don't do any other tests, you will get mixed results due to having a primary breed that's not a tested breed.

Please feel free to post any pics of the husky mix. If a curly tail, could have some other breed like Akita, or another curly tailed breed in them.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for those tips!

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I'd loove to do a DNA test on my dog. I know she is primarily Doberman, but I really want to see her other main breed is. I know it is some type of hound. She is very houndish in looks just as much as she is Dobie in looks and she is very hound vocal. The rescue thought she was poss. mixed with beagle. I was like, "uhhh.. I dunno bout that.." :p She has a very Rhodesian Ridgeback body profile just stockier, but then a lot of hound profiles look similar.

Maybe your dog has BOTH Cardigan AND Heeler, that'd be kinda interesting lol. I could see how people could see both in your dog. Tell us if you DO do the test, and what it says!

~MSE

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hahah that's too funny you found this thread b/c I'm reconsidering taking the test-I found one that has corgi's in their database!!

Secondly (THIS Is LOL) I found out AUGI is a designer breed ( hahahahah) of australian cattle dog and Corgi

**(I also found a 'registry' for designer breeds-this will make you LOL !!! Even though we adopted Mikey from a shelter and have no idea of his parentage, we can register with the registry, and get a real certificate saying he is an AUGI-I'm seriously considering this-it woudl be too funny to have a certificate for our mutt!!)

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
wow, i was kinda joking when I said maybe he has both in him, haha. I had no idea for the life of me people bred that combo as a designer dog! Thats neat! All designer breeds are mutts neways :p all that is different about them is they have papers and they cost a lot more than the ones in shelter right? hehe.

~MSE

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Hahah that's too funny you found this thread b/c I'm reconsidering taking the test-I found one that has corgi's in their database!!

Secondly (THIS Is LOL) I found out AUGI is a designer breed ( hahahahah) of australian cattle dog and Corgi

**(I also found a 'registry' for designer breeds-this will make you LOL !!! Even though we adopted Mikey from a shelter and have no idea of his parentage, we can register with the registry, and get a real certificate saying he is an AUGI-I'm seriously considering this-it woudl be too funny to have a certificate for our mutt!!)
lmao! do the pictures on the site look like mikey? i'm gonna look it up and see:) i found one a site for "mastidors" (lab/mastiff, i'm thinking that may be clover) but it don't think it was a registry or anything......

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Clover does look like he could have mastiff or lab in him. from the pic in your avatar.

~MSE

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OMG Corgi mixes!! Thank you!! I've been looking for corgi rescues b/c we'd like our next dogs to be corgi mixes :)

Here's the registry-I didn't describe it right-it's for ALL designer breeds LOL so you can register your mastidor :p

International Designer Canine Registry - Complete Registration & Pedigree Services for Designer Breeds.

It asks for parents on the registration appy but it's not required-you can quite literally register a heinz 57 mutt :p (Horse people will laugh if you think back to the 'blue eyed white' registry mentioned on fugly)

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
wow that is a long list. I had no idea all those "breeds" were being bred.

~MSE

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No kidding! I'm not exactly a proponent of breeding...but to purposely breed mutts? Considering the pets in shelters-perfectly fine animals all available-they should not be breeding them.
Until there are none-adopt one ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts