Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i work at dog groomers and have for the past 5 years.
We are very good groomers and pay great attention to the dogs and their needs.
Well today there was a terrible accident.
My co worker was bathing an elderly bicon frise. This bocon has a history of fitting and has been coming to us for about 4 years and never had a fit.
Well the poor old girl had a fit today in the bath. My boss and co worker got her out of the bath wrapped her in a towel and waited for her to calm down, she unfortunately didnt calm down and fell into caradic arrest, my boss then started compressions and cpr.
But sadly she passed. We are all very tramatised and saddened by this. The owners of the dog are distraught and very upset which is only to be expected. They were in shock today. There was lots of tears and a very quiet salon today. This is the first dog ever lost at our grooming salon.
We would really like to do something nice for the owners such as send them flowers ect. And i am looking for some suggestions.
I know nothing will take their pain away or bring their little girl back but hopefully we can ease it.
We want the owners to know that we cared for their little girl as best we could and she was not alone when she passed. That we loved her like our own dog and are deeply saddened by this.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Hi Stephanie,

I'm so sorry that this happened. It's clear from your post how deeply saddened everyone is by the loss of this beloved pet.

In addition to a letter, I might suggest a gift to remember her by. Did anyone take a photo of her after she had been groomed? After I lost my wonderful Miles (the dog in my avatar), I commissioned an artist (on etsy.com) to create a watercolor painting of him. Then I had it framed. It's surprisingly not that expensive to do this. Just do a search for "custom dog portrait." It you don't have a photo of the dog, perhaps the owner can supply one for you.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Sorry that happened. I think a heartfelt note would be appreciated. A note expressing things you said in your post about how you all cared for her and she was not alone and how hard you tried to save her.

I'm not one that likes flowers, they die all too soon. Better to have something that lasts. I think the painting is a great idea. Etsy has lots of artists that do different styles of dog portraits. I've had both my cat and dog done. They're beautiful and very much treasured. I had mine done and got a digital copy and then brought it to a quality print shop and had it put on canvas. Total was only about $75. So worth it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I prefer living plants to flowers. The portrait is a great idea, but what doesn't cost money and helps the most is for you to share your memories of their loved one as a unique individual.

Grief lasts a long time. People go home and get on with their lives. A little card or note several months from now saying how much you miss some individual quirk or special way the dog acted could mean the world to these people.

I am sure this is just part of the job, but I am so sorry that it happened to you. My groomer is a very special person who has earned my trust as well as my dog's. I have a great deal of respect for her as a professional as well as a human being.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thankyou everyone for your suggestions. I will talk to the team at work and see what they want to do. Im not sure if we have a photo of her. Ill will check on the computer today. We might have an old photo. But i will write up a letter for them on be half of the team.

Its so very sad. You dont expect to take your dog to the groomers and get a phone call that they passed.
I have been thinking about this poor little girl all night.
Maybe if she didnt come yesterday she would still be here.
I suppose it does come with the job. We have lost many dogs over the years and its always heartbreaking. But never have we lost one in the shop.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
If you are interested in having a painting commissioned (it really isn't that expensive), you could ask the owner to give you a favorite photo.

I'm sure that the owner would appreciate the thoughts that you have expressed here.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
When I've lost pets, it was really touching to get sympathy cards with little handwritten messages from lots of vet and hospital staff that had cared for them over time and knew personal little anecdotes or little qualities about each pet.
When my amazing Maine Coon cat died two months ago and had many visits and hospital stays from cancer, all the little staff and oncologist signatures and anecdotes about his personality and feistiness made a huge difference. It helped me feel that he touched everyone who met him and they were all sharing the grief a tiny bit.
Little free things, just a handwritten sentence from a few stadf, can make a huge impact.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I think you should make sure you and your colleagues are ok too. It sounds like you all did whatever you could but are probably suffering from a degree of shock. Perhaps ask a counsellor or facilitator to the workplace to allow you all to express how you feel and support each other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m so sorry this happened. As a dog owner whose dog was injured at a groomer who refused to take any responsibility or even acknowledge the accident happened, it’s heartwarming to know there are loving groomers out there who really do care.

I would send a card signed by all the employees and a note saying how much the staff loved the dog. That means SO much to a grieving pet owner.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I only allow the groomer at our Vets to groom her. Grooming is a completely unregulated occupation, which is kind of a scary thought. At our Vets, however, grooming is highly regulated, by our Vet, and the standards are high. I may pay a little more, there, but the comfort level and the treatment our dog gets there, is worth every penny.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts