Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had Brady for 6 months now and he destroys everything when left alone. He has eaten an Apple Watch, my dresser, socks, blankets, a mattress, etc. He is crate trained and is crated when left unattended; however, I want to be able to let him lose with my other dog so isn’t confined all the time. Do y’all have any advice to help control his chewing. And he has tons of bones/ chew toys to keep him occupied.

·
Super Moderator
1,878 Posts
Do you know why he is chewing? Is it boredom, frustration, anxiety? You would really need to find that out to fix it, otherwise you are only putting a sticking plaster over the problem rather than properly resolving it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know why he is chewing? Is it boredom, frustration, anxiety? You would really need to find that out to fix it, otherwise you are only putting a sticking plaster over the problem rather than properly resolving it.
He definitely has separation anxiety. Even if left in the room for 5 minutes he starts freaking out whining, jumps on counters, and will shred anything he can find. I adopted him from a shelter which I think plays a major part in that.

·
Super Moderator
1,878 Posts
If you are in a lockdown, it's the ideal time to work on this. Have a look here for ways to help. And with regard to chewing things, that will largely be down to management - if he can't get it, he can't chew it. But resolving the SA could well resolve the chewing if that's where it's rooted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are in a lockdown, it's the ideal time to work on this. Have a look here for ways to help. And with regard to chewing things, that will largely be down to management - if he can't get it, he can't chew it. But resolving the SA could well resolve the chewing if that's where it's rooted.

Thank you! Also it says to make sure that the dog is tried before leaving to make them less anxious and less likely to get into stuff. Do you have any tips if he’s not able to be walked or worn out? He recently shattered his femur in his leg and had a major surgery a few weeks ago (has 13 screws and plate placed in his leg) he currently cannot go on walks or exercise in any form.

·
Super Moderator
1,878 Posts
Poor lad! But yes, exercising his brain will be even more tiring than physical exercise. So tricks or scentwork are great for really wearing dogs out, with the added advantage of not ramping up excitement that could flood their systems with adrenaline.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Poor lad! But yes, exercising his brain will be even more tiring than physical exercise. So tricks or scentwork are great for really wearing dogs out, with the added advantage of not ramping up excitement that could flood their systems with adrenaline.
okay I will try it out thank you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts