Dog Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my puppy got neutered on Monday. I've been very careful following the vet's instructions, keeping him confined so he can heal (which is hard, since he's a hyper puppy) and barely leaving him alone (I work from home)

On Thursday night, I left him alone for three and a half hours exactly. In that time, he managed to chew off his e collar, pull out all his sutures, and pretty much make a bloody mess of his incision. It was so horrible. It was late at night when I got home. I did my best to make all kinds of apparatuses involving a sheet and a t shirt, but he pulled off everything in his crate.

yesterday morning, I took him back to the vet, where she re stapled everything together so it could heal and gave him a new e collar. It seemed to fit much better than the first one, so I was relieved. I did have a very stressful day with him yesterday, though, where he basically refused every command I gave him (more on that later). In particular, this week he's suddenly started to hate his crate, which is brand new behavior since he's loved his crate from Day 1 (I made sure of that through extensive training). They were super judgy about the whole thing, pointing out how this was my first dog and that this was clearly a training/behavior issue and that I should enlist a professional (he's already in training classes but they think I should have home visits)

Anyway, this morning, I left the house for three hours while he was in his crate. And he did it again! Completely chewed it right off, which would have taken a great deal of dedication.

Thankfully he's not chewing his staples again. But I don't know what to do now! I can't spend the next week supervising him 100%. As it is I have a dog walker come by if I'mg going to be more than 4 or 5 hours.

I see there are a number of e collar alternatives on the market, but it appears that even though they are more comfortable than the e collar, they are not more secure.

What do I do?!!!!

Also, it can't really be a training issue, can it?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
The traditional name for cone collars isis actually e-collars...the 'e' comes from the word "Elizabethan". It was a fashion design that Queen Elisabeth was known for for wearing...dresses with massive collars that framed her head. : )

http://www.rammuseum.org.uk/web/data/misc-events-assoc-with-west-country-to-worlds-end-the-south-west-in-the-tudor-age-image-tyrwhitt-drake-collection-9.jpg

The term was kind of shanghaied into describing electronic collars when they became popular.

As for an alternative to the cone, you might check out these collars:
7 Alternatives to the "Cone of Shame" - Trupanion Blog | Pet Health & Care Advice

I've been lucky in that I've only had to use a collar on any of my dogs, and that was my guy Ernie...and he too, tore his up within like a half hour. My vet was surprised that he managed to do it...said she's rarely seen a dog do it. So she gave me one more and that too was destroyed. So I just left the collars off of him and he never did bother with his stitches...so I got lucky there.

Given your pup's worried at the stitching he does need some kind of way to prevent him from doing it. I hope you can find something that will work.

Stormy

Reactions: Sha

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Given that my vet and the vet technician also said they had never seen it before makes me think they are full of it, frankly. How is it that so many dog owners I speak to said they had this problem but somehow the vet has never seen it before?

He chewed it up the first time but the second time the vet told me to give him benadryl for the itching, and he hasn't been chewing at his incision.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah it's a clear plastic cone.

he gets it off by pushing the ends against the side of his crate and manuevering until he can catch the end with his teeth. Then he just chews on down until it severs.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I have a dog who managed the same thing after he was neutered. The first time was on the ride home from picking him up after being neutered. Had to turn right around and get him stitched up again. Second time was the next day. I used a Bite Not collar and that worked. They don't work for every dog, as you mentioned. Depends on the dog's build and on getting the right size collar. Luckily a friend had one that fit my dog as no one locally sold them.

Home Page

·
Super Moderator
3,746 Posts
The traditional name for cone collars isis actually e-collars...the 'e' comes from the word "Elizabethan". It was a fashion design that Queen Elisabeth was known for for wearing...dresses with massive collars that framed her head. : )
I have learned something new! This confusion actually cost me some embarrassment at my local pet store. I was having Jesse neutered and ran over to the store just before closing because I wanted to pick up a cone for him. I tried to convince the clerks who were standing by the door to close up the place to let me run inside to get what I needed. I told them that I wanted an "e-collar," having read the term here, and one of them replied that the e-collars were locked up and I'd have to return. After I was home, I realized that they thought I wanted an electronic collar. Yikes, what an impression to make!

·
Registered
876 Posts
I've seen e-collars that basically look like giant donuts or emergency life rings at various stores, I can't imagine that would be easy to get teeth into..

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
What about making him wear a pair of underwear? My guy never escaped his cone, but I also rarely made him wear it, only over night while we were sleeping, and I just kept an intense eye on him.

How about giving him a super tasty Kong as well? Maybe frozen with something like steak or hot dog with chicken broth? That will hopefully keep his attention focused on something other than his stitches.

I recognize neither of these are collar suggestions, but I've never had a dog slip the collar, so I'm no help there.

Reactions: KayWilson

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
When Kasper has to wear cones we have to get creative, as he is amazing at finding ways to get it off...or contort his body into ways to still get to whatever we are trying to prevent him getting to. And bandages / t-shirts / adjusted socks are destroyed within seconds *sigh* :rolleyes:

We have had more success with cones that attach to the dog's collar, and have found they are more likely to stay on, but for unsupervised use in a crate I'd possibly worry about a strangling issue (?) :confused: The cones that attach to the collar are great though as you can fasten the collar as tight as normal and, because the cone is attached, it can't be pulled over the head or moved forwards to an easy chew position.

Additionally we use duct tape and string to make sure the cone is as tight as possible.

Kasper did have one cone where he could chew the fastenings on the inside of the cone. This was managed by fastening it a different way, so the bands were on the outside, and also covering the area in duct tape then turning the cone around so the taped patch was behind Kasper's head.

(not my photo but this cone is taped, we used more than that and positioned it behind Kasper's head)
http://www.dogshaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/dogs-in-cones.jpg

The issue with Kasper is that when he is injured he *obsesses* over the injury. Even if it's virtually fully healed, he will bother it for hours and sometimes push the healing process way back. Even if we give him Kongs full of PB or wet dog food, he often chooses to bother the wound instead.

We tried a Bite Not collar once; I don't know if it wasn't the right size or what but Kasper was able to sit a specific way and get to the cut on his paw. I think it would work really well for injuries that weren't on paws, and Kasper was happier wearing it than a cone...don't leave it on 24/7 though as it made his skin sore.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Kind of off topic here...but my vet has a sign up in her clinic that says:

It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Stormy : )

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Shandula you're right that it would probably help to engage him more. I do give him Kongs and toys but he still takes breaks to chew his stitches. It doesn't help that he's a hyper puppy and I've been instructed not to walk him or let him run around this week. Just makes him bounce off the walls more.

Oh, and since I made this thread he's started chewing his new staples, too. :(

I wonder if it would be helpful to ignore the vet's advice and just take him for walks again. That would calm him down.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
A post-op dog should be able to go on walks so long as they don't run or do any roughhousing. That is the instructions I see going around in my area.

I've also had luck with the sheer power of distraction... A big gigantic dino bone that is impossible to get through in anything short of a few hours. Not the most economical solution, I realize, but cheaper than extra trips to the vet, at least.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@kelly528 Oh that's great. I think I'm just going to start taking him on long walks now.

I've also gotten him some new chew stuff and I'll make sure he's diverted. Still can't control him when I'm not around or asleep, though.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
@kelly528 Oh that's great. I think I'm just going to start taking him on long walks now.

I've also gotten him some new chew stuff and I'll make sure he's diverted. Still can't control him when I'm not around or asleep, though.
I don't envy you. This will be a long week, and either both or neither of you will come out the other side sane.

BUT any way you look at it, it is a week, and a week does end at one point, thank goodness! :D

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Unless he just keeps chewing it up week after week and I keep getting surgical repairs and staples and it never heals :(

It'll heal, it'll just take a bit longer. I'm wondering if a no chew spray wiped around the area (not on the incision!) would help him to resist the urge to lick at it.

I would not take him on long walks until day 3 or 4, but before that frequent short walks should be fine.

I don't envy you! I well remember getting Shadow neutered when he was around 8 months old. I walked him home from the vet (vet gave me very little instructions, no e-collar, and never said no walking) and when I got home flipped him over to check the incision. There was no stitches:eek: I called the vet to ask if he was supposed to have sutures and was told yes, replied when there wasn't any. I was told to bring him in. Back to the vet we went where he was stitched up. A couple days later he had popped a couple of them and was acting very subdued, back to the vet we went. He had managed to get the site infected, and the vet said if he popped anymore of them he'd have to use metal sutures on it, thankfully he didn't but he did manage to make a $56 neuter turn into a $100 fiasco, He also caused the healing process to last around 3 weeks. Then again, Shadow was a dog that specialized in turning small wounds into rip roaring infections, he did it 3 times in his 17 year life, he'd turn a wound that should have been able to be treated at home into a $50 or more vet bill.:rolleyes:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts