Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my names Jason and I have a 2 year old Black Lab named Bruno. First time posting here and after searching all over I can't find anything related to my issue, or if it's even an issue at all.

So my wife and I bought a basic solid red nylon 1.5 inch collar from Walmart and it's been pretty good. I don't notice him get upset while it's on, nor does it hurt his skin from what I can visually see. Full hair, no bald spots or irritation. Alls good right? Idk..

When playing with him and my neck rubs on his collar, my stubble gets stuck in the nylon fibers and causes sharp pain. Same with head hair. And I can only assume it's happening to him too. So I've take it off and wore it as I'd make him wear it and sure enough.. hair pulling central.
Now when I'm at a pet store I look like a retard rubbing/wearing these collars on my neck testing the comfort vs hair pulling ratio and I don't feel I'm any closer to figuring out if they even make such a collar or if dogs are even that sensitive.

Has anyone had a similar issue and can point me in the right direction? Thanks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Do you have a pic of the collar??

Try a fabric collar, instead of nylon collar. They're much softer and won't pull hair.

·
Registered
140 Posts
So the collar doesn't bother your dog but bothers you when you rub it against your neck? Don't rub it against your neck.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Try a Rolled Leather Collar...............kind to neck hair and last forever! They come at many price points and in many colors on Ebay and Amazon!:thumbsup:

Attachments

Reactions: Rain and kelly528

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Dog hair is a little different than our hair. They often have fine, thick hair around their necks that don't "act" the same as our hairs.

If you like, opt for a leather collar instead. But honestly unless you see skin irritation, your dog scratching at the collar, etcetera... it probably feels just fine to him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts