Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use a harness when I walk my dogs, but I want to make sure that my dogs have identification. I feel weird putting a collar on them AND walking them with a harness. Should I get them collars? I'm not sure what a good ID option would be. Help! lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
You can use a ring like the ones they use to slide keys on and slide it through the metal ring on the harness. That should work. You can pick them up at any place that sells keys or a craft store. Put the tags on it and fasten it to the harness.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I use a harness when I walk my dogs, but I want to make sure that my dogs have identification. I feel weird putting a collar on them AND walking them with a harness. Should I get them collars? I'm not sure what a good ID option would be. Help! lol
I walk my dog on a harness and he also has a collar that I clip his tags to before we go out. You could also put your dog's tags on the harness.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you! I'm moving to a new place and I'm getting concerned that I should have ID tags on my dogs at all times. Should I not worry about it and just clip it on their harnesses then?

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you are worried about them "escaping" your yard, then they should have the ID on all the time. Since they will be in unfamiliar territory for a while, maybe a collar with ID on at all times is your best bet. Also, if the tags are registered with anyone, like licensing or vet's office, remember to change the address and/or phone number with them when you move.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I'm not sure why you feel weird about having a collar and a harness on at the same time, most people do it. You'll probably want an ID collar just in case they slip out of their harness. I have tags on Jayne's collar and her harness.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Trixie always wears her collar with a tag that has her name & my contact info. She is microchipped too (which I suggest) but I think the collar is nice as if she got out it is right there to see unlike a microchip.
I only use harnesses when I walk her. She has longer hair so her collar doesn't stand out that much and her harness designs never make it look like too much. I guess it all has to do with the designs. If you use a big collar and a big harness I can see how it may look like alot.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
500 Posts
I believe that any responsible dog owner should have a tag on their dog at all times. Only time mine if off is bath time then it is back on before I even let him out back to potty...and I have a pretty secure yard.

I too use a harness for walks and taking out for exercise, but just a regular collar for lounging around or going to the pet store. I just had two identical
tags made that have his name on the front and my cell # and his county Dog License # on the back. Animal control told me that it was not required to have the county issued tag if I had it on his custom tag...so I made two!

He is chipped and the rabies info is tied to both the county license and through the vet contact on the microchip.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
All of mine wear collars 24/7 and ID for walking v
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
878 Posts
I usually just put his collar on with the harness. Or you could attach the tags to the harness.

·
Registered
793 Posts
My boys have rolled leather collars with I.D., rabies, home again I.D. etc tags. I always use a separate harness or head collar for walking so that if they manage to slip, they still have have their tags. A few of the harnesses also have tags on them; I like to make sure I have my bases covered just in case. I think the rolled leather collars are minimal and look snazzy with any harness get-up.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
My dog wears his collar all the time, which has a brass plate with his name and my number on it. They make tag collars that are small and lightweight, meant only to hold ID and not to be used for walking, if that's something you wanna look into.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
My dogs also wear their collars all the times with their tags, and the harnesses go on and off when they walk. I always have the collar on just in case they scoot out the door and get loose, they always have identification, as well as their microchips.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Since Sophie is an escape artist I will keep her collar on at all times, except bath time or in the crate.
Once at a doggy play date with my friend I took the collar of (as he has dogs without a collar all the time). Well all of sudden his dog came over and Sophie was gone, she had dug under the fence and was roaming the street when we found her (1 house down).
The neighbors thought she was a coyote.
Therefore from now on she will wear a collar at all times (and a harness for walking).

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
As soon as I get the money together to buy a collar that will not irritate Zody's throat he will be wearing it full time. It's going to be embroidered with his name and my phone number.

I don't want what happened to Kit Kat the cat I found, to happen to me and Zody. Kit Kat had a collar on but no form of ID on it, and I couldn't get a ride to the vet to have him scanned for a microchip for two weeks. He did have a microchip but had he had ID on that collar the owner would have been spared 2 weeks of worry.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Collar and harness, always.

Microchips are last line of defense, not the first. They can migrate and not get scanned, shelter workers sometimes get lax in how they scan (or just don't bother) and individuals who find dogs and bring them into their homes don't always know about microchips, or can't get to a vet right away. There was a post on this or another dog forum from a woman who had found a dog on the street, held it for 8 months, it got sick and when she took it to the vet they found the microchip.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I walk Raider in harness and with a collar on. When we go out, depending where we are he'll have both on when on walks or just his collar of we are at family and I don't have to worry about him escaping. If Raider is inside with me at home, his collar is off. And at night it's off. I have it in the same spot, always, so if emergencies are happening, I can grab it, whip it on his head, and out we go.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I haven't read through this thread so hopefully I'm not being repetitive.

I have the same issue - I like Layla to have ID on at all times but I walk her in a harness. And I prefer her to not wear a regular collar, partly for comfort and partly because it ruins her mane.

I went to the drug store and got some slim elastic head bands. They fit her perfectly but they might not fit all dogs - if they're too big that would be manageable with a snip and knot, but too small, not much you could do. However what I really like about them is that they're lightweight, very skinny and yet SAFE and won't get caught on the dog or cut the dog despite being so slim because it's elastic.

Just my two cents.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.