Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around for a dog coat for my new westie but I just dont know if there is any point, Can anyone sway me one way or the another? :)

·
Registered
894 Posts
How cold is it where you are and how does your dog react to it?

Ben has one but he actually got used to the cold and rain pretty quick and I save it for the worst weather. But he tells me if it's too cold by refusing to go out!

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Westie's are tough dogs. A friend of mine had one for years here in New Hampshire and the dog ran all about outdoors during all seasons, and it gets well below zero here. That dog never wore a coat, nor would she put up with any coddling! ;) Those dogs are terriers after all... very hardy! :)

·
Registered
888 Posts
Unless it is absolutely bitterly cold (like where most dogs won't even go out) you shouldn't need a coat on a Westie. The ones I have known like the snow. They look like tiny polar bears with the little black nose and eyes! So cute.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Yeah, you should be fine. My father used to have one and it went coatless throughout winter. Unless you are living in antartica or the artic circle, you're winters won't be rougher than ours.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I was going to start a new thread to ask this, but then figured it's kinda similar to this one, so wondered if I could just pop in and ask? (apologies OP!)

When we walk Kasper in the woods, he goes splashing in the water. He's a Springer x Collie, it's winter here but not too cold, we've had scatterings of snow a few times...I don't have to keep him out of the water do I?! He's never acted cold (shivering, slowing down etc), he gets treats intermittantly on the walk, and dried when he gets back...and usually plonks himself infront of the fire too :p

I've read quite a few books and sites but don't know what to believe...a few have even said if it's remotely icy or snowy outside I need to put boots on Kasper's feet...because that would go down well!! :D

If I should be starting a new thread for this, just let me know :)

Red

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I'd keep him out of the water. Wet feet get colder a lot easier than dry feet. My dogs are fine outside in the -40 weather if their feet are dry*, but tend to freeze up if they step in a puddle in just-below freezing water.

As for when to put boots on, it depends on the dog. I don't bother unless it's the powdery snow that gets between paws or if it's near freezing and more slushy stuff. It also depends on the dog. I put boots on the boys more often than I do for Tesla simply because she can handle the cold better.

The feet seem to be the first thing that gets cold and you can generally tell because they pull the feet up close to their body. When that happens I'd get them inside asap - putting boots on after they are already cold doesn't seem to work. Oh, and it you have boots on, don't let them jump in snow banks and get snow inside the boots. It can melt, get the paws wet and then get you in trouble.

*only when they keep moving and the windchill is low, otherwise they get cold quickly.

·
Registered
200 Posts
It depends on the dog.

If you find your dog is shivering often in the cold, then by all means get him/her a coat. If he/she is not bothered by the weather then chances are you won't need one.

·
Registered
424 Posts
It depends on the dog.

If you find your dog is shivering often in the cold, then by all means get him/her a coat. If he/she is not bothered by the weather then chances are you won't need one.

Ditto that

You can't go by breeds on all dogs. I have seen maltese run in the snow like nothing but if I take my girl out when it's cold she stay's still and won't budge.

I've seen girls my size go out without jackets but me, no way. Whatever you feel your buddy most likely does too.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I was going to start a new thread to ask this, but then figured it's kinda similar to this one, so wondered if I could just pop in and ask? (apologies OP!)

When we walk Kasper in the woods, he goes splashing in the water. He's a Springer x Collie, it's winter here but not too cold, we've had scatterings of snow a few times...I don't have to keep him out of the water do I?! He's never acted cold (shivering, slowing down etc), he gets treats intermittantly on the walk, and dried when he gets back...and usually plonks himself infront of the fire too :p

I've read quite a few books and sites but don't know what to believe...a few have even said if it's remotely icy or snowy outside I need to put boots on Kasper's feet...because that would go down well!! :D

If I should be starting a new thread for this, just let me know :)

Red
In case you need bootie:

Pawz Dog Boots

·
Registered
2 Posts
functional options for dog jackets & Westie pic!

Hi!
I noticed this discussion about putting jackets on your pets and I thought I'd weigh in.. I've always been a person who didn't put a jacket on my dog unless it was exceptionally cold and even then - most of the ones I found were pretty uncomfortable for her. (She's a Cavalier King Charles spaniel.)

However, over this winter I noticed that her skin allergies were less problematic when she was wearing a jacket - she didn't chew hot spots or scratch endlessly. So, determined to make something she was comfortable in, my wife and I started sewing!

We're now trying to take our home business to the next level and have launched a project on Kickstarter.. We believe that our dogwear combines functional and comfortable with expressive - in styles that communicate personality - and we call it funk-tional! Please take a look at our project and help us get our designs in front of retailers this fall..

Thanks guys!

Jess

·
Banned
795 Posts
I've been looking around for a dog coat for my new westie but I just dont know if there is any point, Can anyone sway me one way or the another? :)
I put a coat on Marty when it raining or snowing heavy as his fur get matted
really easy when it get wet. He is not crazy about wearing it, Marty will lay down making it harder to get the coat on him! The wise guy!! If you dog does not mind getting wet or brush you really do not need a coat. My vet told me small dogs do not like to go out the rain ,but Marty does not mind the rain. How about your Westie does he/she mind getting wet?

·
Banned
795 Posts
I'd keep him out of the water. Wet feet get colder a lot easier than dry feet. My dogs are fine outside in the -40 weather if their feet are dry*, but tend to freeze up if they step in a puddle in just-below freezing water.

As for when to put boots on, it depends on the dog. I don't bother unless it's the powdery snow that gets between paws or if it's near freezing and more slushy stuff. It also depends on the dog. I put boots on the boys more often than I do for Tesla simply because she can handle the cold better.

The feet seem to be the first thing that gets cold and you can generally tell because they pull the feet up close to their body. When that happens I'd get them inside asap - putting boots on after they are already cold doesn't seem to work. Oh, and it you have boots on, don't let them jump in snow banks and get snow inside the boots. It can melt, get the paws wet and then get you in trouble.

*only when they keep moving and the windchill is low, otherwise they get cold quickly.
I tried to put boots on my poodle so he would not get ice melt on his paws and he wanted nothing to do with wearing boots! I think it best to get a dog to use to wearing boot as a puppy. I did get my condo to stop using the toxic ice melt and that helped my dog. My last dog was black and I thought it would be great it there was some coat to put on him in summer so he would not get so hot!

·
Registered
2 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts