Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm shelly

I'd like to know if anyone dresses the pet's? I would really like to know if I'm crazy. Please help me ;) thank you shelly

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Hello! I personally don’t unless it’s a special occasion like Halloween. He tolerated them but generally seems uncomfortable so it’s only ever on long enough to take a picture of.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Shelly,

I will always put a sweater on the dog on a chilly day. He has a variety of little sweaters. Or I will put a coat on him to go out in wintertime, or a raincoat for rainy days. He also has a high visibility neon yellow shirt for hunting season. And he has a life jacket for going swimming, and a tiny dog back pack for going camping/hiking. He has dog boots for icy weather and he has a Christmas harness.

So if you ask me, I do not think it's crazy at all. My dog doesn't have a costume, but those can be cute as long as the dog is happy. He does have a reindeer sweater for Christmas time. Pretty much his clothes are functional in some way. But if the clothes are just for fun but you and the dog both like them then I think it is just fine.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I once did it but Zoey keeps on biting her clothes seems like she really doesn't like it but it only depends, if your dog likes it then go with it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Nope, dogs have fur coats, that's enough. I find dressing them silly and pointless, it's only to satisfy the owner, not the dog. I'm sure the dog would rather not be made to wear clothing.

The one exception is if there is a medical reason to prevent licking and, dressing them does the trick for a few weeks.

·
Registered
500 Posts
My current dogs have good, weather resilient coats so they don't need clothing. I don't put clothes on them just for fun. Dogs are the prettiest as they are. I would dress a dog for practical reasons, say, it has a thin coat and it is cold and wet, then it gets a warm mantle or overalls. A practical wear is allowed to be pleasant to the eye too but it has to do its job properly.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I get so much joy out of putting hats and sweaters on my dog. So cute.
They don't serve much of a practical purpose but my dog doesn't mind so I do it ?

·
Registered
745 Posts
My dog has very fine short fur, its basically the equivelent of just an undercoat. She is fine in summer, but in winter she gets so cold she shivers non stop & is miserable without clothes. She does not like tight clothes, & has a large dislike of buttons zips & velcro. She showed me this by chewing them off! I ended up making her little polar fleece hoody jackets. She loves wearing them. Leaving a dog cold is neglect. Its important to make sure your dog doesnt get too hot in them aswell tho, & its not recommended to exercise your dog for long in them. Always take them off if they start to pant or even before that. I also make her lots of different bandanas in gorgeous fabrics, they look so cute & are more comfy than a collar. Im considering putting boots on her as there is quite a bit of smashed glass on the sides of the road from car accidents & I am worried about her feet in case she steps on some before I see it, or if its shattered into the grass & I cant see it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My husband dresses up the dog this afternoon.

Look, this is the only way she enjoys her towel!

she was so glad getting dressed for this one
this is a bit too tight for her but it's cute!!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am really obsessed with dogs accessories. Every time i walk zoey in the street, i always make sure that she looks pretty and sexy lol.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I like dressing up my dog in stuff especially during halloween or costume contests. It's fun and my dog tolerates it as long as the treats are given lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dogs are sometimes referred to as man's best friend because they are kept as domestic pets and are usually loyal and like being around humans. I have also 3 pets and love them very much. I'm always caring of them and there is an online Pet product store named Zen Dog Zone, It is a very good site and the products are very good, So I am usually using their product.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have Chihuahua mixes. They need clothing.

Laurel has no undercoat at all and hair like a Yorkie's. It is completely useless for any sort of weather protection so she needs to be dressed just like a child and I need to dust off my sewing machine because that isn't cheap.

Chocolate has thick, lush double coat that seems like it should keep her nice and warm. I thought her sweater was "just for decoration" because it really was an emergency and she needed a new home ASAP. Once she started letting me touch her, I felt her shivering in temperatures that Laurel can tolerate.

It isn't just the coat. These dogs were selectively bred for the climate in Mexico since the 9th century. When we plop them down in rainy or snowy North America and crossbreed them with whatever we think might improve the breed, we humans have the responsibility to take care of them.

So yes, I do dress my little dogs up like little dogs and of course that makes a bad impression on a lot of people. They aren't children so I don't stress over less-than-cute DIY undershirts or whether they like my fashion choices.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, if you are dressing your dog just for looks or fashion then it is not ok, especially if that clothing is making them uncomfortable. But on the other side, sometimes they need something to keep them warm or something that will protect them from getting wet from rain, etc. I have a Pug and I bought him a hoodie to wear whenever it is really cold outside, cuz he had pneumonia once, and now he is 9 y/o.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts