Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I'm 19 years old, I'm a university student and I want to buy a dog. I want the dog to be small and quiet, suitable for first time owners and easily trained. Some friends suggested me shih tzu, maltese and Yorkshire terrier. I want your advice. Which breed should I choose?

·
Registered
442 Posts
All are pretty good breeds for what you are looking for.

I like yourpurebreedpuppy.com for summaries on the different breeds, including the pros and the cons.

I would just caution you to be careful about getting a puppy at this stage of your life....Puppies are a lot of work! A lot! I would also look into an older dog from a shelter or rescue organization.

When I was in grad school, I adopted an older Shih Tzu. She was amazing! She came housetrained, didn't bark and was happy chilling in my small apartment in the city.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If I were you, I would get an adult dog. That way, the dog will already have the essential training such as potty training and if you pick well basic obedience. They will also need way less potty breaks during the day, and require less effort overall! Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I were you, I would get an adult dog. That way, the dog will already have the essential training such as potty training and if you pick well basic obedience. They will also need way less potty breaks during the day, and require less effort overall! Good luck!
Thank you very much. It's a great idea to get an older dog, because as you said it will be trained and will require less effort. But I have difficulties choosing the breed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All are pretty good breeds for what you are looking for.

I like yourpurebreedpuppy.com for summaries on the different breeds, including the pros and the cons.

I would just caution you to be careful about getting a puppy at this stage of your life....Puppies are a lot of work! A lot! I would also look into an older dog from a shelter or rescue organization.

When I was in grad school, I adopted an older Shih Tzu. She was amazing! She came housetrained, didn't bark and was happy chilling in my small apartment in the city.

An older dog is a great idea thank you. My problem is the breed. All three breeds I referred to, previously are so cute and I can't conclude

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
How much grooming are you wanting to do? All three of the breeds you mentioned are going to require a lot of grooming. You can keep them in a short clip, but even then you still need to keep the dog brushed between clips and you either need to spend money every 6 to 8 weeks to have the dog clipped, or clip them yourself. If you wish to grow the coat out your going to have to brush the dog every other day minimum, and it's best to brush daily, and then trips to the groomer to the dog's face, paws, and hind end trimmed and neat.

If you are not into grooming something like a boston terrier, pug, or french bull dog, may be a better fit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How much grooming are you wanting to do? All three of the breeds you mentioned are going to require a lot of grooming. You can keep them in a short clip, but even then you still need to keep the dog brushed between clips and you either need to spend money every 6 to 8 weeks to have the dog clipped, or clip them yourself. If you wish to grow the coat out your going to have to brush the dog every other day minimum, and it's best to brush daily, and then trips to the groomer to the dog's face, paws, and hind end trimmed and neat.

If you are not into grooming something like a boston terrier, pug, or french bull dog, may be a better fit.
I don't have any problem with grooming, thank you for the info though. Of these three breeds I prefer shih tzu a bit more, but I read in a site that they have health problems and they can't stand heat. Is this true? The climate here is too hot and the summer I spend every day at the beach and I want to take my dog with me so I'm not sure if I choose this breed :/
Please enlighten me if you know Loren about shih tzus.
Also, I find yorkies amazing but I read about them being noisy and irritable and very zealous.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This might just be my experience, but Yorkies seem pretty stubborn and noisier than the other two breeds you're considering, but I'm sure that depends on the individual dog. My sister has a shih tzu and he's absolutely wonderful—affectionate and playful and sweet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This might just be my experience, but Yorkies seem pretty stubborn and noisier than the other two breeds you're considering, but I'm sure that depends on the individual dog. My sister has a shih tzu and he's absolutely wonderful—affectionate and playful and sweet.
Thank you very much. Do you know if shih tzus have health problems? Does your sister take it to the beach?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm not sure about health issues. Her dog is still pretty young (maybe 3-4?), but I haven't heard her mention anything serious. She doesn't live near a beach, so I don't know if he's ever been to a natural body of water, sorry. He seems pretty adventurous and confident, so I don't think it would be an issue temperament-wise. I'm not sure if he's really a "water dog," though. I could see him being fine just hanging out at the beach or going for walks on the beach, not so much getting in the water.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I don't have any problem with grooming, thank you for the info though. Of these three breeds I prefer shih tzu a bit more, but I read in a site that they have health problems and they can't stand heat. Is this true? The climate here is too hot and the summer I spend every day at the beach and I want to take my dog with me so I'm not sure if I choose this breed :/
Also, I find yorkies amazing but I read about them being noisy and irritable and very zealous.
Yorkies can be noisy. They do not like being alone and they don't like the heat. If you spend each day at the beach, even though grooming is not an issue for you, you might want to consider a shorter hair breed because as you probably know, getting sand out of long hair is not much fun. LOL Oh and I don't know if this is just our Yorkie or if a lot of them are like this, but our Munchie hates getting wet. Our little Morkie puppy loves to swim in our pool, but Munchie, the Yorkie, hates it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you very much, maybe I'll look for a breeder of shih tzus near me. I love this breed, they are so beautiful.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not sure about health issues. Her dog is still pretty young (maybe 3-4?), but I haven't heard her mention anything serious. She doesn't live near a beach, so I don't know if he's ever been to a natural body of water, sorry. He seems pretty adventurous and confident, so I don't think it would be an issue temperament-wise. I'm not sure if he's really a "water dog," though. I could see him being fine just hanging out at the beach or going for walks on the beach, not so much getting in the water.
Thank you very much, maybe I'll look for a breeder of shih tzus near me. I love this breed, they are so beautiful.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yorkies can be noisy. They do not like being alone and they don't like the heat. If you spend each day at the beach, even though grooming is not an issue for you, you might want to consider a shorter hair breed because as you probably know, getting sand out of long hair is not much fun. LOL Oh and I don't know if this is just our Yorkie or if a lot of them are like this, but our Munchie hates getting wet. Our little Morkie puppy loves to swim in our pool, but Munchie, the Yorkie, hates it.
Maybe yorkies are not for me :/ Do you have any other breeds in your mind to suggest me? Thank you

·
Registered
442 Posts
Shih Tzus (and the flat-faced dogs in general) don't do well outdoors in the heat
They're obviously fine in a warm climate as long as they are in the AC most of the time
I don't think of them as beach dogs
You might be better off with more medium sized dog with a snout, sounds like you have a pretty active and outdoorsy lifestyle
If you are looking at adopting, maybe be open to the breed and see if there are any that meet your lifestyle criteria
I'm sure there are many dogs looking for homes who would love to spend time at the beach!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Shih Tzus (and the flat-faced dogs in general) don't do well outdoors in the heat
They're obviously fine in a warm climate as long as they are in the AC most of the time
I don't think of them as beach dogs
You might be better off with more medium sized dog with a snout, sounds like you have a pretty active and outdoorsy lifestyle
If you are looking at adopting, maybe be open to the breed and see if there are any that meet your lifestyle criteria
I'm sure there are many dogs looking for homes who would love to spend time at the beach!
Thank you very much for your advice. Maybe I'll look for a medium size dog short haired who love outdoor activities. I'll look in a shelter to save a dog.

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
Have you considered a poodle? They come in standard, miniature, and toy. They were originally bred to be a water dog. If you keep one in a short clip it should handle the heat just fine, and the miniature one should do fine in an apartment and be able to keep up with you no matter what activity you want to do. Poodle Breed Information

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Quiet, even within the same breed, varies from dog to dog. When we adopted Samantha, we didn't hear her bark for at least three months. As she became more comfortable, she would bark, at first just occasionally. She never barks, when someone comes to the door, but the doorbell will send her running to the door in anticipation of greeting someone, but she will certainly bark when she sees someone walk by the house, especially if they have a dog. In her case, as soon as they are out of sight she is done barking. She is a poodle/bischon mix, and some of that breed mix, bark far more than she does, some less, so to some extent, how quiet your dog is, or is not, is the 'luck of the draw'.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Quiet, even within the same breed, varies from dog to dog. When we adopted Samantha, we didn't hear her bark for at least three months. As she became more comfortable, she would bark, at first just occasionally. She never barks, when someone comes to the door, but the doorbell will send her running to the door in anticipation of greeting someone, but she will certainly bark when she sees someone walk by the house, especially if they have a dog. In her case, as soon as they are out of sight she is done barking. She is a poodle/bischon mix, and some of that breed mix, bark far more than she does, some less, so to some extent, how quiet your dog is, or is not, is the 'luck of the draw'.
So true! This reminds me of my Morkie, JuJu. He's four months old and four pounds. He's very quiet, but if he hears the doorbell or the microwave close too loudly or someone walking in the door, he barks so hard it lifts him off the surface he's on. Its so funny! He's letting me know someone is there, but he won't go out there without me. I tell him "let's go see," and he positions himself so I can pick him up and out we go looking for the "intruder." LOL

1 - 20 of 21 Posts