Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have two puppies, an 8 month old beagle/chihuahua (Jupiter) and a 4 month old beagle/dachshund (Rosie). Jupiter was not house trained when we got her, so she is learning alongside Rosie. As a result, both of them are put behind a baby gate in the kitchen at night to cut down on what we have to clean. They have chew toys, water, and lots of bedding, so it should be just as comfortable as other areas of the house.
Recently, Rosie has been finding new and exciting ways to cause trouble. She is using her newfound height (more like length) to climb up on our kitchen table and our countertops! In addition, she has started chewing on the wall. At first it was the molding on the wall, but she has moved on to attacking the actual plaster. We don't want the repair costs of the wall, but we're more concerned about what eating plaster will do to her!
Any guidance on how to stop her from going where she shouldn't and/or chewing on the walls would be much appreciated.

·
Banned
45 Posts
Hello, I have two puppies, an 8 month old beagle/chihuahua (Jupiter) and a 4 month old beagle/dachshund (Rosie). Jupiter was not house trained when we got her, so she is learning alongside Rosie. As a result, both of them are put behind a baby gate in the kitchen at night to cut down on what we have to clean. They have chew toys, water, and lots of bedding, so it should be just as comfortable as other areas of the house.
Recently, Rosie has been finding new and exciting ways to cause trouble. She is using her newfound height (more like length) to climb up on our kitchen table and our countertops! In addition, she has started chewing on the wall. At first it was the molding on the wall, but she has moved on to attacking the actual plaster. We don't want the repair costs of the wall, but we're more concerned about what eating plaster will do to her!
Any guidance on how to stop her from going where she shouldn't and/or chewing on the walls would be much appreciated.
I brought my puppy to bed with me the first night we had her, and she had no problems. Not everyone will do this, but some dogs do not like being locked up.

·
Registered
135 Posts
In the short amount of time I've had Bandit he's been trying to tear up the carpet and bite at the walls. To get his attention away from doing both of those things I'll call him to come to me and I'll hand him a toy to play with. If that doesn't work I'll clap my hands pretty loud and say no or I'll put him in his crate for 5 minutes and take him back out, usually with one of those options he stops. Maybe crating during the times you're not able to keep a close eye on her would help.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would try an ex pen or crate training.
With the exercise pen, you can place it where they can't get to anything potentially harmful (like plaster). I would also take out the water from their enclosure at night. It will help to reduce the peeing. With our young pup, she is cut off water water at about 8pm (unless we do a walk after, for which she gets a little water). It helps her to be able to hold it all night.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts