Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup is 8 months old, so a lot is going on in her teenage head. She’s a German Shepherd so she has ages and ages of energy. I take her to the dog park at least 1-2 times a day, play with her inside the house, include more walks, hikes, etc. but she’s always had an issue with chewing. Shoes, furniture, a new one is baseboards. We’ve corrected her every time and given her an alternative. She has toys, bones, and dog chews galore. It’s 100% of the time out of sight now that she’s doing it. I’m always suspicious if she’s not around me, but I can’t live chasing my dog around the house to make sure she’s not getting into trouble. We’re currently staying in someone elses house, so it’s unacceptable that she’s chewing on their stuff. Solutions? Cause most of the time I see exercise, but that does nothing. She’s a working breed, so like a little energizer bunny. And I can’t spray nasty stuff all over the house. (We tried this and she didn’t mind it).

·
Registered
111 Posts
She's probably teething, so needs something to chew on. Raw meaty bones might help, or carrots - or I've heard of people wetting a bit of towelling, wringing out out into a long thin twist, freezing, and letting the dog chew on that. Another idea is to give her cardboard boxes to shred - you could fill a box with twists of paper with treats in them, or put a treat in a box in a box in a box... It'll make a terrible mess, but at least it's easier to fix than chewed skirting boards. You could put plastic tubes round thin chair/table legs. And it goes without saying that anything that can be put out of reach, should be - shoes, books, phones, spectacles... A large lidded storage box might help.

You might also want to give her less exercise overall (at 8 months she shouldn't be having long walks), but more mental stimulation, and also train her to have more down time - I think @JoanneF might have a good video for teaching a dog to settle down and relax.

·
Super Moderator
425 Posts
Thanks @JudyN.

I'm a big fan of Kikopup who has loads of great short videos on YouTube.

This is her one for teaching a dog that they do actually have an ”off” switch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts