Dog Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've done a lot of carting with my Rottweilers, but I did it to compete in Rottie carting tests and then also did Berner and Newfoundland drafting tests (they allow other breeds in their tests as do the Rotties). So I've never done it for anything practical.

If you want to start, check local clubs for those breeds and see if they have clinics or someone who will help. Getting the dog started safely is the hurdle. Needless to say the dog has to have some training without a cart before you start.

·
Registered
102 Posts
We've done sledding with our dogs ... tho had quite a scare once when my kids were 4 and 3.... I had or our Dobie (Mr. Spock) on a short leash with my kids on a sled like thing shaped like a motorcucle double seat with a back ... we were walking and a reasonable clip and I let go of the leash .... after all we were in a completely fenced area (school athletic fields) ... well some type of predatory bird must have seen something and swooped down near us ... the dog took off in chase and was 2+ football fields away from me before he reached some brush and could go no further. You can imagine the fright we and wifie had and of course when I finally caught up they were laughing hysterically and saying "More daddy more".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have checked locally there is nothing even remotely close to me. Like I said dogs have pulled the scooters, but my knees gone bad. They love the run and hate to stop them. Was generally looking into changing from a scooter harness to a carting harness, and can't find much information. Know they are two different types of harnesses. X back harnesses are available everywhere but siwash cart harness is proving difficult to find. Thank you for your advice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've done a lot of carting with my Rottweilers, but I did it to compete in Rottie carting tests and then also did Berner and Newfoundland drafting tests (they allow other breeds in their tests as do the Rotties). So I've never done it for anything practical.

If you want to start, check local clubs for those breeds and see if they have clinics or someone who will help. Getting the dog started safely is the hurdle. Needless to say the dog has to have some training without a cart before you start.
Where did you get your carts? I've been trying to find one for my pit, but can't seem to find one that is cheap.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just to be sure, I assume the goal is dog pulling you not the other way around ... amazon has a tom of baby like carts for dogs oif anyone following is interested in that route.

if it's the dogs doing that work and pulling you as I have inferred, there's two caret categories... those that pull you when sitting are often called sulkies and those that pull stuff or you when are commonly called carts.... tho often those names are juxtaposed.

And no, they are not cheap .... especially the off pavement types with shock absorbers. I sent my kids a link suggesting they get Mom a 2 dog sulkie and it was $2,600 for use on fire roads and wide trails with twin shock absorber forks. Mom joked that we were trying to get get revenge for the sled incident noted above

This is the cheapest one I've seen at $570, tho I'm not liking the 3rd wheel

·
Registered
97 Posts
The highest level of Rottweiler carting competition has the dog pulling their person in the cart. However, lower levels of Rottie tests and all the draft tests of breeds like Bernese Mountain Dogs and Newfoundlands are for the dog to pull an inert load in the cart. Dogs were used to pull loads as a less expensive alternative to horses once upon a time, and that's the history these breeds harken back to with their tests.

To be honest I can't imagine having a dog pull me in a cart for fun. I've done it a couple of times, but it just seems like asking too much physically of the dog. The dog weighs considerably less than cart plus human. I lost that feeling when I drove a Rottweiler team, however, and it was fun.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I guessed as much for the competitions ... I just couldn't guess what the OPs interest was. I intended to drop a link showing various human / cargo options but looks like I forgot.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-D2nDKCknU

Not much load on the dog req'd on pavement with bicycle wheels ... but for fire roads and wide relatively level trails. i think 2 is the minimum. Bikejouring is and option if one is reasonably fit, but that's something I'd only do off road.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts