Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our dog - American Fox hound mix 50 lbs - began regurgitating/vomiuting bile about 3 weeks ago and stopped eating 2 weeks ago but still drinks water normally. Blood tests 10 days ago indicate a tick borne disease (anaplasmosis) and he is being treated with doxycycline since. He's done with that course, but he is still not eating on his own; although we are feeding him baby food and peanut butter by mouth. Vet is somewhat stumped and the cost of a return trip to the vet is prohibitive; so we are hoping to glean some knowledge on continuing care here.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Its the antibiotics. They always create a problem with the stomach. Use yogurt or kefir to put the good bacteria back in the stomach and stop the baby food and give ground turkey and steamed veggies for a couple of weeks to heal the stomach.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its the antibiotics. They always create a problem with the stomach. Use yogurt or kefir to put the good bacteria back in the stomach and stop the baby food and give ground turkey and steamed veggies for a couple of weeks to heal the stomach.
Thank you for your suggestions. He won't eat any food on his own. We're feeding him presently via a food dropper. I'm not sure if ground turkey can be delivered through a food dropper. I'm fairly certain yogurt will, though. Do you know if a multi-vitamin would be beneficial?

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
We've had many ups and downs medically, and the pup wouldn't eat for a day or two or more.

What I did was make a bone broth, you can find recipes online. Or boil any kind of meat and feed the stock as a replacement for straight water. If you can find a good probiotic, add it to the cold bone broth and see if the dog will take it that way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We've had many ups and downs medically, and the pup wouldn't eat for a day or two or more.

What I did was make a bone broth, you can find recipes online. Or boil any kind of meat and feed the stock as a replacement for straight water. If you can find a good probiotic, add it to the cold bone broth and see if the dog will take it that way.

Thanks for that idea - I will try it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts