Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is strictly a hypothetical question...

If i was to own a regested pured breed female dog, and i wanted to breed her are the places i could take her to breed her with another regested male, specificaly setup for this?

also how do you then go about getting the puppies regested? do you need copies of the mother and fathers regestration? Would it be wrong to breed her with a non regested male (of the same breed)

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
If you are interested in breed i strongly suggest finding a mentor in the breed to help you along.

There is alot involved in breeding... and registration and stud services should be the least of your concerns...health testing and titling your dog should be the begining...IMO only the best of the best should intentionally contribute to the gene pool :)

what breed and what registry are you refering too?

please please please read these links... breeding is not a simple thing.

So you want to be a breeder?

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/breeder.html

:) :) If you have any more questions just ask.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
[CRIO!! Great minds-I was going to post that link-I give that to people all the time.]

Blustaff: A few quick things to consider.

As a breeder you are responsible for the health of those pups-say someone takes them home and ends up (even after a period of time) with a huge vet bill-guess who has to pay? You. Even if you have a contract in place and years go by-you could end up with huge vet bills.

Your dog can easily die during breeding, gestation or birthing...Do you want to risk her??

The link Crio posted 'so you want to be a breeder' is a MUST READ for anyone considering. Please read it-AT least have all the facts, and think of everything before you jump in to something where life is involved.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I don't know how you all feel about breeding but this is another riding the fence for me. Oh, no, I don't think that just anyone out there should let anything breed but not only is there the famous we all know about the, breeders who have high quality dogs should breed but we get our helping hands dogs that help the handicap from purpose breedings and not allways full bred. There are working dogs that may not be at show standard but they will work for you on a farm or what ever you may have them do and they are bred to keep what that dog has in her his gut geneticly here in the next working pups. Thats just the top but if it is a dog and or owner that is for no reason maken pups just to do so, I think thats wrong but if there is a reason for them to be here and its a good reason, well..... well?

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
I think you bring up a really good point.

The breeding I don't feel good about is the 'my dog has a penis/vagina, I'm going to breed it to ____(anything) and make LOTs of money' back yard breeder type...

What your talking about is really different, they are breeding for specific qualities-they have homes and JOBS for the offspring. Ideally they'd take pups from shelters but I just don't think that they could? So I think what your bringing up is a valid form of breeding, even though the parents may not 'match' in breed or be show dogs :) I know of a similar program here, and they are breeding for health-and I'd assume with all the money that goes into training these working dogs-they know what they are doing and are breeding for health too :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thats really cool that you understand what I was saying. Usually I get jumped on for that opinion (shrugs) but I think that as much as show dogs are valuble to keep our pure breds bred well, I think the working dog has a high importance in our working lives. And since I love genetics then I tend to be very interested in these type of things. Not to just to make puppies but how to make even better workers, what type of quality can you put together to make an even better, faster, still even temperd and so on compettiter, herder, searcher, helper....... I think its fastenating.....

·
Registered
275 Posts
Right now I am beside myself with the cockapoo. Totally impressed!!

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
Thats really cool that you understand what I was saying. Usually I get jumped on for that opinion (shrugs) but I think that as much as show dogs are valuble to keep our pure breds bred well, I think the working dog has a high importance in our working lives. And since I love genetics then I tend to be very interested in these type of things. Not to just to make puppies but how to make even better workers, what type of quality can you put together to make an even better, faster, still even temperd and so on compettiter, herder, searcher, helper....... I think its fastenating.....
this is a great pov imo! i mean, it was selective breeding, good and bad that got us the dogs we have today... obviously we all love them...it was mentioned on an earlier post, but have you ever read anything about the domestication of the silver fox? you'd really dig it i think so i won't tell you more now, made me do one of these:eek: "cool"

still, i always have to add in how disgusted i am at most of the breeding that is done here...millions of dogs and cats euthanized every year...it's just too much:( sorry, i'll put the soap box away now:)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
275 Posts
No, havent heard of the demestication of the silver fox, where do I find that??

·
Registered
275 Posts
Cool, thanks

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
No, havent heard of the demestication of the silver fox, where do I find that??
here ;)

The domestication of the russian silver fox. (40 year fast track evolution)

;)
really really interesting. Floppy ears and piebald markings showed up rather quickly if I remember correctly.
Cool, thanks
thank you crios!!!!!

sorry stef, i didn't have time to find a link earlier...pretty cool stuff tho

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Oh, your fine.

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
OMG THE domestication of fox program in Russia is SOOO Cool!! I tell people about it all the time.

Dave fancies that we'll go to russia and import some and set up a fox breeding program here LOL (because they don't export them yet)

They domesticated foxes, to mimic domesticating dogs-to give us more info on domesticating species -fifty years of selective breeding. They are pet quality and many people in russia keep them as pets now.

What I thought was UBER INTERESTING was that they took on colors like dogs and dog like vocalizations!

Cute pic time...
Domesticated silver fox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Early Canid Domestication: The Farm-Fox Experiment » American Scientist

YouTube - Tame Silver Fox

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
i know, right! i mean it is interesting on so many levels, which traits are connected genetically, how did dogs become domesticated? how can one species have such a huge variety of physical forms? oh, and it doesn't hurt that the foxes are so cute!

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.