Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm slightly crazy and would love to add a third dog in about a 1-2 years. I *love* aussies and border collies but I want a smaller dog under 40 pounds and under 19inches. I've looked at the Mini American Shepherd and they sound perfect. I'm worried about how realistic they are though. I'm going to school right now so I have a lot of doggie free time but I know long term I won't be as active as I am right now with my current dogs.

Currently my dogs get several walks throughout the day (I don't have a yard currently), playing ball, and we go to the dog park several days a week. As well as mental games everyday.

I think long term it would be more realistic for 3 walks a day. One long run in the morning, one short walk after work, and one longer walk before bed. As well as still playing games and visiting the dog park. By the time I get this puppy I also plan to have a yard.

I just worry about if I can really handle a Mini American. I know they can be nippy and have a wariness of strangers, anything else I should know about? I take my dogs everywhere that allows them and we are always looking for doggie events so I worry a bit about a dog that is known to be wary of strangers.

My current dogs are a 35 pound terrier mix and a Samoyed puppy (my boyfriends dog)

So I'm looking for recommendations on dog breeds that would fit my lifestyle.

Wants

*Velcro dogs
*known to be easy to train
*good with people
*under 19 inches/40 pounds but bigger than 14inches and over 20 pounds
*I'm a bit nervous about if I can really handle a super high energy dog so a dog that is good with 1ish hour of physical exercise and another 30 minutes to an hour of mental exercise is good.
* I would love to get into dog sport, I tried agility with my terrier mix and he hated it. I also plan to start roller blading with my dog when he is older.

Dislikes
*I don't mind vocal dogs but don't want one that barks just to hear itself singing.
*I don't want another terrier as I prefer less independent dogs
*It needs to be a breed known for being good off leash, no hounds

Thanks guys!

Just for kicks here is our two tired boys after Barktober fest!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Paging @AmandaNola to the thread!

I know you said no more terriers but if you like the look, you should at least consider wheaten terriers. Every single one I know is like a poodle in a terrier's body... Super dog-friendly, biddable, awesome off-leash. Not a shred of that typical terrier feistiness. Very cuddly. They are also a great size for agility but honestly I think they would excel in a lot of sports.

I also really like smaller spitzy-type dogs. Can be a little barky and headstrong off leash but they love them some obedience. Anything involving thinking and treats. German Spitz, Keeshond, Pomeranian, Icelandic Sheepdog, Finnish spitz...

Some other ideas: springer spaniel, labrador retriever (nowhere near under 40 lbs though), corgi (a little hard-headed but very sporty), schipperke, mini poodle.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I find Aussies (including the minis) vary wildly when it comes to energy and mental requirements. You can get anything from a relatively lazy dog with low drive to dogs that need 2+ hours of hard running daily and require a job to do. They also can be quite noisy and bark a ton or pretty quiet. It is quite variable. Definitely ask lots of questions from any potential breeder. Otherwise, they seem a good choice.

Recently, I have really fallen for standard poodles. I think a smaller standard could fit your needs quite well. A lot of the smaller retrievers/spaniels would be a good idea too. Springers, tollers, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really liked the wheaten terriers, I'll have to look more into them. I also really like the English springer spaniel.

With the Mini Aussies I have noticed that they seem to attract a lot of backyard breeders. I have found several that I like that actually breed dogs that look like scaled down Aussies and not toy crosses. I've been looking at breeders that compete in agility/obedience so I'm assuming their dogs are more sporty.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
From what I've seen of MAS, their energy etc varies tremendously between lines. I think you could find a suitable one for you if you're careful about breeders.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I agree with sass that MAS vary a lot, but you should be able to find one that fits your requirements.

Also spaniels might be a good fit. Welsh springs, English springs, or English cockers all fit what you want.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Spitz or poodle could fit...intelligent, relatively easy to train, adapt relatively easy to their owner's lifestyle and you can do sports likely agility or dogdancing with them.
one of the small Pinschers could perhaps also fit...

generally I'd wait until the Samoyed is all grown up and done with the basic training. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! You make me feel better about the MAS but I'm still really liking the springers and the wheaten. Mathilda I figured I'd spend the next year or so really trying to find a good match for me breed/line wise and researching breeders so by the time I'm actually ready to buy a puppy Roary (Sammy pup) would be close to two years old. Of course if I don't feel he is at a good place training wise I will wait. :)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
MAS aren't bred very well generally so finding a breeder that produces a solid tempered predictable mini may be a challenge in and of itself.

I want to add however that you'll probably change your mind a thousand times before a year or two. I'm looking for a breed currently and so far I have considered malis, another Aussie, a mini/toy poodle, a BC, a golden, a dobie, a borzoi, and a mutt. And I still won't have one for at least another year!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts