Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, so here's my little guy Baxter! I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on what you think Baxter is mixed with. I've done some research and I'm thinking Belgian Malinois mixed with something else. He's kinda small (full-grown) and energetic and can play all day.

Attachments

·
Registered
485 Posts
Hi.
I didn't want you to feel unwelcome, but unfortunately do not have any idea.
There are mixed reviews, but you might want to try a canine DNA test.

In any event, Baxter sure is a cute pup!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Hello! Welcome to the DF! Baxter is so gorgeous, but unfortunately I'm terrible at guessing breeds as well. But wanted to welcome you and Baxter!

·
Registered
Z, Rescue Mutt
252 Posts
I could definitely see that being a Mal.
Perhaps the other breed is a hound or pitbull?

Reactions: Buzzu2

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'm horrible at guessing breeds but definitely looks he has some Malinois in him..
You can do a embark DNA test at home.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I find that dogs of this shape and coloring are the most difficult to guess. If you look at places with a long established feral dog colony, the dogs start developing certain physical traits - and those are similar to dogs like yours.

I would lean more to identifying any temperament or motion traits to make a guess. Things like:

Does he yodel like a hound?

Does one front leg lift up and the foot curl back when something catches his eye like a setter?

Is he overly interested in small animals like a terrier? Does he like to swim like a lab? Does he "stalk" like a border collie, etc.

Seeing a pitbull in dogs is as common as seeing shepherd. However, many other breeds can combine to look like a pitbull as they are actually not purebred and have varying different breeds in them (as opposed to the staffordshire which is an actual breed). So if you are concerned with that, I suggest getting dna tested with a company that doesn't indicate "pitbull" as a breed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts